cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the club.  Just purchased...

Matt_B
Guest Contributor

New to the club.  Just purchased a 2015 Sea Ray 220 OB and would like to install a Garmin echomap CHIRP fishfinder/chartplotter unit.  Does anyone have experience with this type of DIY installation?

5 REPLIES 5

Tmkopp
Guest Contributor
Interested as well. Want to install same thing on our 190

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Very cute and dry. No through hull drilling. Transducer mounts to rear transom normally drill small hole through transom to run transducer wire through. Then fill with marine sealer. Three SS screws to hold transducer. Everything else just hooking up power and finding mounting location.

DeFo_Boater
Guest Contributor
I installed Garmin 53cv. I didn't even have to drill holes. I just removed the factory compartment and installed the GPS. Its not quite a perfect match, but close enough. I connected mine to the mercury NEMA 2000 network, mine has mercury smarttow. I think NEMA 2000 is on all boats, but not sure on that. With that network the GPS depth is sent to the unit from the stock Sea Ray depth transducer. I don't use the sonar, so this way I didn't have to mount any external devices.

Tmkopp
Guest Contributor
Defo That would be a great install for me, problem is the 190 does not have the NEMA 2000 or the space in the dash. Wonder if I can hook up the Depth Finder that is on the boat now, or maybe just get a bigger boat!!!

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Yep, just as Hydrotherapy posted. When I did mine I added a small stainless steel clamshell over the hole I cut in the transom for the transducer cable; it's just for a cleaner appearance. Also, when you cut that hole make certain it's large enough to get the plug on the device end of the cable through because you do not want to try to cut and splice that cable (mine was a Lowrance and it had to be a 1" diameter hole). You need to start at the transom end, feed the cable through the hole you cut and up to where you have the device mounted.