cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade in values of a 2007 240 SunDeck

CharlieM
Guest Contributor

I’ve looked and nobody has trade in values, just retail pricing.  How much is a dealer going to try to make on a trade in? I had on guy (dealer) offer $14k I said I was sorry to have bothered him.

its got the 350 mag, bravo 3, trim tabs, Bimini, covers, head (never used), tables, nice stereo with satellite and CD changer, SunDeck filler and pad.  No trailer.  600 hours. Looks like new.

i don’t get it.  I thought prices were up.  There’s practically no inventory of this size boat anywhere.

thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
Like any dealer with a trade in, they are going to try and make as much as possible. You are going to do better by trying to sell the boat privately yourself. I would be willing to bet you could sell your boat for at least $5,000 to $10,000 more than you were offered. Good luck.

CharlieM
Guest Contributor
Well, I know I can get more selling myself than on a trade-in, but it would be a lot more difficult as I’m typically not near the boat. If I can sell for $5k to $10k more, he could probably sell for $10-$15k more. That just didn’t seem reasonable. He lost a fairly easy sale because of a lowball offer.

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
As it is a seller’s market now, the dealers don’t care to give anyone a deal on a boat now. They just want to take your trade and make a ton off of it. I’m in Las Vegas and it is impossible to find any decent boats, RV’s, or off road type vehicles available. Everything is gone now. The stuff that is left is going for above market values.

Jeff007
Guest Contributor
Check NADA.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
If you're trading in you boat on another boat purchase don't expect the dealer to give you near retail on your trade and a discount on the purchase. That's an unrealistic expectation. The dealer has to make money and will start with the best offer in his favor. Yes, you'll do best selling your boat yourself but if that's not possible and you're going to trade it in just work on getting either the best trade or the best purchase price, not both. Look at the bottom line of the total deal.

TRay_Sea
Guest Contributor
Depends if it was a saltwater or freshwater boat.. if it was a coastal boa the boat's engine is close to its lifespan. I boat a 2004 trade in dropped $10K and changed the upholstery for $3K. I had it for three years and the engine went. I am repowering for another $12K. Basically a new boat, if I bought new it would have been $60-70K

CharlieM
Guest Contributor
It’s freshwater.

This wasn’t a case of wanting retail on a trade. I told the salesman I was interested in a particular boat and what I had for a trade. I didn’t even ask for a price as I knew approximately what they’re been going for. I asked what the trade in value would be.

There’s a nearly identical boat near here that the dealer is asking $35k for. I realize they may not get that, but making $20k off my trade doesn’t sound like a old way to run a business.

TRay_Sea
Guest Contributor
A freshwater boat in New York, especially Long Island would get you top dollar. Get a boat broker out here. Look up Marlin in Seaford NY. It would sell in a few days for the mid 20's, when they sell it you can walk into any dealer and buy what you want without the trade in ripoff.

TRay_Sea
Guest Contributor
PS they usually charge 5-10%, i have a friend Oak Gentry who owns bluewaterboatbrokers but he has to be in his late 70s now so not sure if he is alive and kicking. If so tell him Alex from webcando referred you.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Put on boat trader.

fire4161
Guest Contributor
I traded in my 2006 searay 240 sundeck last year for 19000. It had very low hours 180hrs and was in great condition.