cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, own a 2007 60DA and want to...

Tad
Guest Contributor

Hi, own a 2007 60DA and want to install an inverter to power the refrigerator and freezer when we are anchored out. It's sort of annoying for the boats we are rafted up with that we have to run our generator all the time to power our refrigerator and freezer.  Anyone done this?  Any hints/suggestions etc? 

10 REPLIES 10

Mcayle
Guest Contributor
I have been thinking about this for my ‘99 56 Sedan Bridge. Initial response from those I’ve asked was that it’s quite the undertaking. Not sure why the boats were not wired with an inverted to begin with. It would be great not to have to run the generator every tine we leave the dock. I would love to hear what people say about this as well.

Deja_Blu
Guest Contributor
The boats didn’t come with 12vDC fridges/freezers?

Tad
Guest Contributor
My 60DA has frig and freezer that are 120v only. My previous boat was a 44DA and it had frig and freezer that were dual voltage 120v/12v

Stampr
Guest Contributor
My 56 has a inverter and have to leave it on charge only, had a trip from hell bringing it home from the east coast , kept draining batteriy and shutting the electronics down on the engines , u need to double up on the battery banks , I only had two subzeros running .

Tad
Guest Contributor
do you know what size batteries your inverter was running off of and how many there were? How long would your two subzeros run before it caused a problem?

Stampr
Guest Contributor
I had it running off 4 8D , about 6 hrs

Tad
Guest Contributor
Wow, that's bad news. Hard to imagine 2 subzeros could run down 4 8D's that fast. Appreciate the info.

Tad
Guest Contributor
Stampr, I'm confused about the situation you encountered. Were you underway when your batteries kept draining and the electronics where shutting down? I would think the alternators would keep the batteries charged when you were underway with the engines running. I can see how at anchor the batteries would drain down, but not when you were underway.

Stampr
Guest Contributor
My electrician tech told me after I got it home and changing batteries 3 times that the two 8D house batteries the inverter was tied to is not near enough battery’s to function well , the capacity would run the tv for a few hours but not all the 110 stuff on the boat , i just use it as a charger and have had no more problems in the last 4 yrs , I’m a dock guy and my generator runs when I’m not , he told me to use a series of golf cart batteries if I wanted to use the inverter properly.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
I had a similar situation, I installed a separate 27 series battery, a Tripplite Inverter, converter and charger. It’s one unit that does it all, about $450. When 110 power is disconnected the ice maker immediately switches over to 12vdc. The whole install runs off its own battery and does not use the 8D house battery.