cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1995 450 Sundancer that...

slipaway
Guest Contributor

I have a 1995 450 Sundancer that after running for a bit, will not restart. Upon investigation it appears the Seafire fire suppression system is the culprit. We put the switch over to bypass and the engines would start, but eventually we changed the wiring at the control unit and bypassed the shut off feature for the engines. The generator does not seem to be effected by this. 

When this first happened it was only the Port engine, but the next time it was both engines. After about 20 minutes the engine(s) would start. It was then we traced it back to the Seafire system.

In the area that I boat there doesn't seem to be any service and the marina has been no help. 

Wondering if if anyone has had a similar issue, or have any suggestions. Don't want to replace the entire system. Thep canister registers in the green, 

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
Which Seafire system is installed?

Those Seafire systems are supposed to interrupt operating engines, but that aspect might only be applicable to gasoline engines, not to diesel engines.

The system is supposed to activate when the fire extinguisher discharges, by monitoring the canister pressure switch.

My suggestion is to start w/ inspecting the electrical connections from the canister to the Seafire.

slipaway
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless
The unit is a 1301 series and on the canister it reads A800G. I have cat diesels 3116's and the system does have an engine shut down. My understanding is that that is standard on Diesel engines.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The Seafire 1301 is the Halon canister part number.

There may also be an engine interrupt system, like ERS-Mark III, as-shown in this link.

Which engine interrupt system is on the boat?

http://support.sea-fire.com/downloads/manuals/ESRS%20Mark%20III%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

wingless
Rising Contributor
Sorry , Halon 1301 is the tank contents, but that is still the canister, not the engine interrupt system.

What is the P/N or model number for the engine interrupt system.

slipaway
Guest Contributor
The number is ESRS mark V on the module

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is the manual for that Sea-Fire ESRS Mark V Engine Interrupt System.

http://support.sea-fire.com/downloads/manuals/ESRS%20Mark%20V%20Installation%20Manual.pdf

First inspect all the electrical connections at the ESRS module.

Measure the resistance from the ground connection, Pin 1, to a solid boat ground. It should be very low, such as under 10 Ohms, closer to zero is best.

Measure the ESRS module input voltage as-shown in the document, to be appropriate for the boat voltage.

My suggestion is to disconnect the cylinder pressure switch connection at the ESRS module and use an Ohm meter to measure the continuity / resistance of that circuit. It should be very low, such as under 10 Ohms, closer to zero is best.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The document has an installation check procedure that should also be performed to determine any issues.

slipaway
Guest Contributor
Thanks I will give that a try when I head back up. The boat is out of the water rite now and nestled in a dry inside heated storage for the winter.

rssll45
Guest Contributor
Have a 1998 450DA. My sea-fire display started showing both red and green lights. I called Sea-Fire and their electrical guy gave me the model number for the replacement. Simple 15 minute install. Wiring plugs in to plug coming from control box. Part is about $150.