cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2006 40 sundancer that...

mystic
Guest Contributor

I have a 2006 40 sundancer that rides a little bow high even with trims tabs fully down. Visibility is impaired when sitting so I stand up a lot. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

16 REPLIES 16

Rafael
Guest Contributor
We had the sister boat, same problem. Our solution - moved up to a 470 🙂

SeaMax
Guest Contributor
I have a 410 and I can trim it down just fine. Next time you pull your boat, look at the travel of the trim tabs and make sure they are going down at an angle below the plane of the bottom. They are adjustable and you may have to trim them down a little to be more effective.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem with my 2000 410. Just moved up to a 2017 400. With the mid ship helm, the visibility is better, but still hard to see port side forward. I use my radar all the time, so that I can sit back and relax.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
PS. Stuff comes up fast at 30 MPH.

mystic
Guest Contributor
I was thinking of adding more metal to the tabs to make them longer but I will check the travel, I know they both extend as far as possible. It does not bother me on the ocean but inter coastal requires I stand up.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
Not sure changing the tabs is a good idea, there would be tremendous pressure exerted to the longer tabs which could cause all kind of unknown damage to the gear.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
Can you not use the seat flip up for better visibility?

mystic
Guest Contributor
maybe I can raise the seat I usually end up sitting on the flip up which is not comfortable on long cruises.

Koz
Guest Contributor
I had 2001 410 and I had the same problem. I added 3 in down on either side of trim tab with stainless and it improved a lot. If you add too much you will have to add another hydraulic ram. Which a friend also did. My fuel economy improved tremendously after adding side pieces and brought boat down for visibility.

mystic
Guest Contributor
thanks Koz that is exactly what I was thinking of doing and wanted to know if it worked.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Excellent solution. We added twin rams with 4" wider tabs. Bennett helped us a lot because you don't want to over tab the boat.

Charles_III
Guest Contributor
Hi Mystic, I purchased a 2006 40 Sundancer last October and noticed the same problem. Did realize there were options to correct this. Will you modify the trim tabs or replace them? Thank you!

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
These boats ride bow high by design. I start full tabs and play with them while watching my speed and have found that less than full tabs is the optimum running angle. The bow is a bit high but I have my seat adjusted all of the way up and will sit on a pillow. The admiral has a "booster seat" for the helm seat which allows her to see over the bow. If you add larger tabs to make the bow lower, you will be decreasing the efficiency of your boat.

Oceanview
Guest Contributor
Or you can raise the seat and add cushions.

Shorething
Guest Contributor
Fill up the fresh water tank. That should add more weight to the bow

Seaweed
Guest Contributor
Had the same problem. I had a longer seat post installed. This got me up higher. It also got my feet off the ground, even at 6 ft. 2 in. in height. I bought a cheap plastic foot stool and my visibility and comfort are good now. I looked at more expensive foot rests, but the foot stool lets me put my feet where I want them.