cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for the light switch...

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor

I'm looking for the light switch location for my salon track lighting. I'm not getting power to the fixtures and trying to troubleshoot the problem. 1990 Sundancer 420

12 REPLIES 12

Blue_Dawgs
Guest Contributor
do you mean the main switch for operation of the track lights in the salon. under the bulkhead where the stereo is to the right. It has a on off switch and a combination with the slider which is the dimmer switch. Make sure the dimmer position is somewhere in the middle and turn on the switch. If the dimmer is turned down too low they will not illuminate even when the on/off switch is on. Then there is a breaker switch in the main panel that is labeled appropriately. Hope this helps. Also the bulbs are replaceable and unscrew like normal bulbs.

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the response. I checked out that switch and it has no AC power going to it. I hot wired to the switch by running a dedicated 115V line from the ARRRR climate control switch right above it and got power to the track lights. So the issue is the power line in is dead aaaand I'm wondering if there is a hidden circuit breaker somewhere besides the main panel. This one has me stumped. I can't trace back the wiring because it is hidden behind panels. I will be forced to hve it fed by the salon AC circuit if I can't solve the problem.

Blue_Dawgs
Guest Contributor
My next step would be to check the power feed to the breaker at the main panel and check the operation of the breaker to see if there is power at the source feeding the switch that has no power. My boat also has a breaker on the port side up underneath where the entry exit ladder position is to stern portside of the icemaker. There is a breaker for each power line located there on my boat. Also make sure the power lines are showing voltage on both lines at the main panel.

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor
I have checked all of that. I typically start at the power source and work forward to the light switch. Power at the panels and all the rocker switches feeding the lines but no power at the on/off switch for the track lighting. Somewhere there is a break in the line . I'm going to have to feed the track lighting from the salon AC control module power input. Run a dedicated line from there to the on/off track switch unfortunately. I have no desire to rip apart the interior tracing the 115 line back to the track lighting.
I appreciate your input.

Blue_Dawgs
Guest Contributor
good luck and let me know if you find out more as it may be good to have filed away for future reference. The other thing I would check is the ground fault reset on the plugs in the salon and galley. and forward berth

Blue_Dawgs
Guest Contributor
the 110 outlets have ground fault breakers to reset in the head I think also besides the ones mentioned

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor
Very interesting. I didn't connect the head outlet to the track lighting.. Perhaps they are on the same circuit. I will check to see if the ground fault in the head is tripped.
Thanks

Blue_Dawgs
Guest Contributor
My boat has a ground fault outlet right above the sink to the left in the galley also.

SMT
Guest Contributor
I have a newer 450 there are 4 GFI's but mine has extra head that you don't have mine are located in aft head, above galley on port on on starboard above couch and one in main head.

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor
I checked today and found only 1 GFI and it's in the head and wasn't tripped. So I'm back to having absolutely no clue as to where the break is in the track lighting circuit. I guess I'm going to have to run power from the in the vicinity A/C temperature control module to the track lighting power on switch.

SMT
Guest Contributor
On my boat the lighting is 12V mine cut out I found the problem to be the connector in the power panel on the 12v side of the panel. The connector was plastic and had shorted, spliced a new one all was fine.

Harbor_Marine_E
Guest Contributor
Mine has both 12V DC and 115V AC for lighting. The only 115V lighting is the trac lighting in the salon. I wouldn't mind changing that to DC but then again it becomes a wiring issue having to somehow pull wires from the panel to the trac. Much less complicated just pulling AC from the nearby AC control panel.