cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in a dingy. What size...

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
Interested in a dingy. What size dingy/motor combo do you have abs why? We’ll be boating the Chesapeake and I’m trying to figure out how we will use it and therefore what combo works best. My son in law is body builder type 6’ 280# so I’m sure I can’t get away small.
8 REPLIES 8

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
If you have a hydraulic swim platform you can get whatever size fits your needs. If you have a fixed swim platform, you’ll need to cut down on weight in order to lift it onto a aftermarket David system. I don’t have a hydraulic platform, but I did install a electric winch through bolted in the lazerett to lift it.

Philo
Guest Contributor
I have a Highfield 310 -11’ classic with a 20 hp Mercury stored on a 580 SS w/ hydraulic swim platform. It works pretty good for us. I used to be like your son in law;-)

Rich122
Guest Contributor
I have an Amonzi 350 w/40hp. Side console, seats 4. Bow rail,nav lights, 8 gal internal tank. Tach,speedo, bilge pump. Nice tender it's for sale

boating1
Guest Contributor
The max weight on your lift is 850# if I recall. GHS installs the lifts for Searay. Go online and look up the specs etc. GHSLIFT.com they have a great customer phone service too.

You should look into buying a Williams jet dinghy. They are a superior Tender. Because there is no outboard you can actually get a much larger tender for your boat. You also don’t have to worry about the engine sticking out as well. If you want to stick with it additional tender with an outboard you need to max out at about 10 feet because with the engine in the up position which is how you have to store it you lose a few feet. Good luck be great to hear what you end up with.

mikem993
Guest Contributor
11' Boston Whaler with 25hp mercury.

Fabs
Guest Contributor
We have a BRIG 380H with 50HP Merc. Be careful NOT to get into too large an inflatable UNLESS of course you're looking simply to buy another boat. "IF" your interest is truly in a tender and your focus is on your 6' 280# Son-In-Law, I'd personally recommend the slightly larger 495cm EAGLE-5 w/115HP. Ours at 380cm is marketed as a 5-Passenger and it's really comfortable for 3-persons. Same practicality applies to the EAGLE-5 which says it's USCG legal for 7-Passengers albeit I assure you is most comfortable for 5-people, including your Son-In-Law's profile. Here's a link to BRIG: http://brigboats.com/models/eagle/eagle5/

Lastly, seriously look into getting a JET DOCK for your BRIG when at your Cruiser's berth; you'll protect and use your rather expensive new nautical toy considerably more, GUARANTEED!!! www.jetdock.com

Specific JET DOCK for tenders: https://www.jetdock.com/products/univ-14ft-boat-dock.asp

Carter
Guest Contributor
Airwaves - has your 550DB had a GHSD Lift installed. I thought they were all delivered with a Davit behind the cockpit bench seat. If you have a GHS Lift, we carry a y
Yamaha VX-110 Deluxe Waverunner in the summers on the lake and an 12' AB Nautica Dingy with a 40 HP ETEC on it in the winter in FL.

Carter
Guest Contributor
Airwaves - my apologies - in a later post I saw you have a '93 550 Sedan Bridge. I read it as a 55DB and assumed you were talking about an '05 55DB which my platform comment referred to.