cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2007 40 MY has an issue with...

JimM1
Guest Contributor

My 2007 40 MY has an issue with water intrusion in the master stateroom. This only occurs when we encounter seas with wind driven spray hitting the sides of the boat. Water comes from under the shower on the starboard and from under the steps on the port depending on direction of the wind. In heavy seas, which would also indicate high winds, it can happen on both sides. Nothing seems to be unusual in the bilge.  Water seems to come in behind the rear engine room bulkhead, but I can't figure out where. Anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

14 REPLIES 14

Midnight_Run
Guest Contributor
I believe your rub rail needs a good caulk seal on the top and bottom.

doctorken
Guest Contributor
I agree, but if that does not work, you may find that you may need to remove the rub rail and rebed it.have

doctorken
Guest Contributor
oops. Remove "have" at the end of above reply.

Midnight_Run
Guest Contributor
Agree...if a good caulk need on the top and bottom of your rub rail doesn’t work...remove the rub rail and caulk the seem to where there are no gaps...place the rub rail back on and make sure to have a good caulk beed on top and bottom...

JimM1
Guest Contributor
Thanks all. I stopped at Atlantic Yacht Basin coming up ICW and they had the same solution. Unfortunately they couldn’t do the work for over a week. At least I have a solution to pursue!

Midnight_Run
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue on my 300 Dancrr, my 410 Express and was able to fix with exterior caulking the top and bottom of the rub rail...I had a stern leak on my SeaRay 48 and I had to epoxy the seam ...SeaRay needs to do a better job at sealing the top and bottom together!

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
First clean/drill out drain holes in bottom of rub rail. I had to remove & caulk bed mine to stop leaks.

marklgunn
Guest Contributor
Mine was somewhat different. In a 1989 340, I had water inside under the carpeted floor access space, centerline in my galley. No where else! Could not figure out how is got there with everything else dry. I was told the storm we had in Long Beach, CA a few mos. ago had driving horizontal rain and we theorize it came in from the rub rail somewhere, but I'm still not sure. Had a storm recently, not a bad, no water came in.

JimM1
Guest Contributor
This water thing is difficult to figure out. I only get water inside when we’re running. I can sit in 55 mph blowing rain and nothing comes in. Rub rail caulking seems to be the most to be the most logical solution.

marklgunn
Guest Contributor
Is the water in the headliner, or floor? I had an issue with a ski boat years ago, and it was a separation of fiberglass at bottom of hull. It only leaked with forward movement in the water. Transducer? You might have to haul out. Just ideas, hope you find it.

JimM1
Guest Contributor
Water is showing up in the floor not headliner. I’m going to try caulking the rub rail. That seems to be the source.

JimM1
Guest Contributor
Having removed a 20 foot section of rub rail, the puzzle continues. Hull to deck joint looks perfect and there is nothing that looks like a place that would leak. Has anyone ever had issues with leaks around the engine vents? That is the only other thing close to where water shows up.

Jolly_Mon_II
Guest Contributor
We had the problem on our 2006 Motor yacht. The fresh water connection was not properly caulked and water was entering through the opening. The port window also needed to be recaulked and it corrected the problem.

JimM1
Guest Contributor
Thanks. Still chasing the location but does definitely seem to be forward of either of your issues. Interesting how somehow these things get caulked on some boats but not others!