cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer. I keep...

WillieGee
Guest Contributor

2005 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer. I keep the boat in a slip and use it once a week during the summer. When I prepare the boat to go out, there always seems to be 1 - 2 " of water in the transom. Clears out when I run the bilge pump for 30 seconds to minute.  Is this normal?

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The water ingress is either rainwater or sea water seeping into the engine compartment.

Determine the water source and implement appropriate corrective steps.

The bilge pump should have an automatic float switch. Is that operating properly? If not, restore automatic operation.

Mattska
Guest Contributor
I have a 2006 260DA. Some years are drier than others in my bilge. This year I’m getting much the same as you - 1-2 inches a week. I think it’s down to the servicing by the boat yard and how tight seals are when they get done.
Have a look around the engine when it’s running for leaks. Typical spots are bottom back left where the raw water enters the engine block (hose clamps can rust out) and the water distributor on bottom front right as you look at it (grey plastic chambers with blue plug on it).
If it’s no more than the 1-2 inches you mention should be fine - likely rainwater or low seepage as mentioned by Wingless. Good luck.

SMUZ
Guest Contributor
I had 2 slow leaks/drips coming from my seawater filters at the drain plug. Ordered new plugs and problem is solved.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I am still trying to waterproof my engine hatch after years of working on it. Have someone shut you in the engine compartment and then spray water around the deck and you might be amazed at how many places water from the outside of the deck can leak in. And of course, the harder the rain the more water will leak in.