cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, we have a 2001 380DA with...

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor

Hello, we have a 2001 380DA with 570 hours. When doing the pre-cruise check we noticed there was a little bit of white smoke coming from the starboard engine and less volume of water coming out of the exhaust than the port engine. At idle in the slip the  temperature was at between 175°and 180°. We took her out for a cruise at idle around the marina and the starboard engine heated up to about 215° and noticed an in creased amount of white smoke. We shut down the engine and took it back to the slip. I pulled the dipstick prior to and after the cruise and there was no evidence of water. Would really appreciate advice on what this could be.

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Prior to my having redesigned the exhaust on my 2000 380DA w/ 454 MAG MPI Horizon engines, the OEM Mercruiser exhaust parts would never last more than 5 years when operated in salt water.

It is required to disassemble the exhaust for internal raw water passage inspection. Those parts must be replaced when corrosion deterioration or when the SOLID wall thickness is insufficient.

My last annual disassembly / inspection after 4 years of usage (since the redesign) reveals the internal passages still look brand new.

Start w/ a disassembly / inspection. See how the internal raw water passages look. The SOLID wall thickness must be acceptable.

Note that the correct gasket is required for reassembly.

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor
Thank you! We’ll have it looked at. Perhaps replace all four manifolds since we have no idea when they were replace prior to purchase of the boat.

Hideout
Guest Contributor
Good morning! We have a 340 and had exactly the same issue. Our mechanic, Aaron, of Aaron's Marine Service located at Narrows Marina took a look and our impeller was fried. The removed and replaced and we had Daves Dive Service dive on the boat. Our intakes were fouled and were cleaned, as well as our zincs, rudder, props and trim tabs cleaned. Water is pumping now thru both engines and no white smoke.

PJS
Guest Contributor
Yes to "Hideout"... I would first check the impeller. If that is in good shape (replace any way - retain used as a spare) move on to the manifolds and risers (they are much more costly). If the impeller is shot a fin/vane or parts of the vanes may have been sucked into the raw water lines. This will require inspection of the down stream lines to insure there are not blockages. Even a little piece can effect the performance.
To "Wingless" point, you will eventually will need to inspect/replace the manifolds and risers. If you do not know when this was last done then do it or schedule to have it done (good winter down time project) as that will eventually fail, especially in salt water.