cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2001 260DA with a Garmin...

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor

I have a 2001 260DA with a Garmin 531s GPS (no thru-hull connection). She started shutting off on my last year when I hit a big wake. This year, it seems like I look at it cross-eyed and it shuts down. Anyone have a good triage plan that was eventually successful? Electrical issues are a pain and I would like to at least check them out before sending a tech at $xxx/hr to "explore." 

2 REPLIES 2

PJS
Guest Contributor
Sounds like the issue is more than likely a short since the problem was initiated by a shock/vibration. I had an issue with the chartplotter screen blanking out in a similar way. The issue was with the ribbon tape connecting the chartplotter screen to the mother board. My fix was to update all my electronics as may were the original and time to go. Yes, not cheap but nothing like having current technology and functionality.

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
Thank you PJS! Agreed, I love the new tech, but I'm not sure we are going to have this boat for 2+ more years. Don't want to invest a bunch of $ into systems that will stay behind. Similarly, your problem seems like it was fairly new technology. I don't think my GPS has any "ribbon tape." It's the cord with the copper pins...at least the part that plugs into the removable unit (which sits on a bracket).