cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 SR 340 SDA. Anyone know if...

Lakebum
Guest Contributor

2006 SR 340 SDA. Anyone know if the factory charger is compatible with AGM batteries.

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Best place to start is with the battery charger manual.

What is the manufacturer and model number? How many banks are being charged? What quantity and Ah are the batteries?

Lakebum
Guest Contributor
Thank you! These are the details and current resolution.

I) The two 2006 SR 340 SDA I'm familiar with have Progressive Dynamics PD-2040 converter/ chargers as OEM with 4 LA batteries group 27.
II) Asked service manager at Sea Ray for opinion. He said" All boat manufacturers are recommending upgrading to AGM batteries albeit expensive. Most onboard chargers have settings for LA, Gel, AGM. Make the setting change if available."
III) The PD-2040 does not have settings to change. I emailed tech service at Progressive Dynamics with all details of OEM and proposed AGM batteries.
IV) PD responded next day "Hello, No problem at all. You will get a full and complete charge into your AGM batteries. Thanks, Andy". Hope this helps others. Will share any future issues.

d_mcham
Guest Contributor
My '06 280 still has the factory PD2030 converter (same as your 2040 but only 30 amps of charging output vs your 40 amps) and I've been using AGMs for a while. I just installed another set a couple months ago in fact...2x gp 27s and 1x gp 31 for the "house."

These converters use a lower charge and float voltage (~13.6V IIRC) than many others, which is why they are fine for AGMs without changing anything. AGMs tend to like the lower voltage better than the normal 14.4V, but they do fine with 14.4V too...I have AGMs in my truck and they've been fine.

Doug