cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Sundancer 260- I am a new...

Penny_s_From_He
Guest Contributor

2006 Sundancer 260- I am a new boat owner, and I have found the boat leans too much to either side when going over a certain speed.  The trim tabs are VERY SENSITIVE.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Any suggestions on how to fix it? 

18 REPLIES 18

Happy_Dayz
Guest Contributor
i take delivery this week of same yr and model.. during survey trial i felt the same lean.. this one has automatic tabs and once turned on stayed level.. not sure the name

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
2001 260DA. Manual trim tabs and I don't find them sensitive. It is a problem that they have no indicators on them and it took me a full season to get the hang of adjusting them. BTW, anyone know of an easy fix to add an indicator?

CKboater
Guest Contributor
If you have Bennett Trim Tabs, they make an indicator called Trimdicator. Defender Marine has good pricing. Not easy, if you want to flush mount on dash. There's also wire running involved. I wouldn't want a boat without them. Keeps the guess work out of where the tabs are.

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
Thank you CKboater, worth looking at!

bob_fro
Guest Contributor
Lucky.. raise your trim tabs full up.........once up on plane lift the out drive up about 5%... you will feel the torque be removed from the steering at the accuracy of trim.......next toggle your trim tabs if needed...... hint...fill your fresh water tank and balance your loads

SCCML
Guest Contributor
Had the same experience on my 2005 260. The bob fro technique has worked for me. Over time, once you get the tabs set, you’ll only need to make minor adjustments. The trick is getting the bow a little lower which adds stability.

Stu11
Guest Contributor
Hi. I am in the process of researching automatic trim tabs and the reviews look good for this product. http://www.mente-marine.com/acs-products/

lance
Guest Contributor
I had a 2007 sundancer that did the same thing The boat would lean to the starboard side. It's the hull design on the boat. Start off by putting your trim tabs all the way up Then go to plain the boat off Just before you plain off start to trim the motor up to 4 or 5 Or just before it cavitates. Then use your tabs to fine tune everything. The tabs are sensitive so give 1 push and wait 30 seconds and do it again of needed. Good luck let me know how you make out.

lance
Guest Contributor
I have a 2009 350 Sundancer what do I use to clean the teak steps going into the cabin? I'm not sure if Sea Ray use real teak or something similar.

DavidB3
Guest Contributor
Lucky Penny, I have a 2005 Amberjack 270. Same experiance with my trim tabs. They are hydraulic and there is a delay in the response to any adjustments. I do as Lance stated. Tabs up, go to plane, start adjusting. I press for 2-3 seconds initially and then wait about 10 seconds to see he it responds. Once I get close I just tap them for a second and allow it to fine tune. We have a bimini top that stays up when underway. I think that sometimes the wind catches it and causes the boat to list. If its breezy I don't respond to a change in attitude unless it stays for a while. I only adjust engine trim after trimming out with tabs. It takes patience and once you learn how your boat reacts it will be easier.

Penny_s_From_He
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the responses, I will try them this week. A QUESTION: Is your boats on a lake, on the sound, etc. I am in Long Island Sound.

DavidB3
Guest Contributor
We are on the Potomac River and we spend time on the Chesapeake Bay. Both having changing winds and are tidal. Which I forgot to mention can also effect your trim.

lance
Guest Contributor
I'm on the Great South Bay Long island

bob_fro
Guest Contributor
Lucky...what your experiencing is the narrow beam construction of the sea ray hull with pitch torque from the props...the compensation is what we have all experienced, the bay, the ocean, the lake etc has no bearing......fill your tanks full, balance your load, run that boat up on plane, about 3500 rpm, lift the engine outdrive tilt about 5 degrees. The steering will feel zero strain an bump one trim tab at a time for a second. the right button tab lifts the port side, the left button lifts the starboard side......it takes a few shorts to get the feel right. Also verify your your prop pitch, should be a 20.....

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
sounds like bow steer. Do you have a Bravo III? If so there are two positions that the trim cylinder rams can be set on. I'm betting yours is set to push the bow down. It's a simple fix you remove the rear trim ram mounting bolt and take the white spacer and place it closer to the transom so you get more bow lift.

Scott3262
Guest Contributor
Basically trim thenout Drive First with the trim tabs fully retracted once in plane adjust one trim tab to adjust for any leaning. I find on nonwindy days I do not even have to use the trim tabs. However, when the wind increases so to does the need for the use of trim tabs. Mine is an 03 260 DA, and I have noticed the later models do tend to list to the starboard side. I think the way Sea Ray shifted the cockpit seating to behind the captains seat creates the weight shift to that side. Your entry is to port and mine is to starboard therefore seating of passengers offsets some of the listing. Always keep passengers evenly distributed and seated or you will definitely be using the trim tabs frequently.

Quick_Silver
Guest Contributor
I appreciate the responses...I as well am having frustrating experiences with my new 2016 260 DA.
It has at times ruined a great day on lake Winni NH and prior she was in Dana Point, CA
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Dakota
Guest Contributor
Sea Ray Trimming
First off I will make this disclaimer right up front. This advice only applies to 2005-2008 260DAs. If you have an earlier model 260DA or almost any other model Sea Ray, except maybe for the newer 240DAs, you will usually use your trim and tabs in a much different way.

Before attempting to come on plane make sure your tabs are fully retracted regardless of your load. In other words DO NOT USE YOUR TABS TO COME ON PLANE .......EVER.

Make sure your outdrive is trimmed fully down before taking off. Just before the boat starts to plane you will feel it list to port or starboard a bit. As soon as you feel that list, begin trimming the out drive up gradually until it straightens up. (It will straighten right up too if you do it quickly and no one will even notice a list when you really get good at it). Keep on trimming the drive until the boat is fully on plane then trim the drive up or down for the most comfortable ride.
Now that the boat is on plane use your trim tab to balance the load side to side. Notice I said TAB. It 's important you trim only for the side that is listing when underway. If you change course direction and the boat start to list to the other side, first retract the tab you were using and then use the other tab to balance the boat again. Never try to use both tabs simultaneously unless you are below planing speed and are just trying to plant the bow.

If you follow these simple steps, all you 2005-2008 260DA owners will be very happy how your boat performs. If you do it any other way........................well................... .....let's just say you won't like what happens.