cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C DRAIN PAN RUST The drain pan...

radiojon
Guest Contributor

A/C DRAIN PAN RUST

The drain pan under my factory Dometic A/C unit always holds a little bit of water in the drain pan (due to bad design location of drain hole) and it's now formed a layer of rust along that side of the pan.  The rusty, orange spooge accumulates in the sump and leaves a rusty discharge stain on the port side drain outlet.  Last spring, I tried spraying a coat of Rustoleum over the rusted areas ... which worked for most of the summer, but the Rustoleum didn't last and the rust came back.  I'm looking for a better solution this summer without having to take apart the entire A/C unit and reassembling.  Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  Or is there any product that I can try to coat the entire A/C pan and lower part of the A/C unit with?  Is it dangerous to coat any of the A/C unit with any material?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

greatscott
Guest Contributor
i put a rubber hose thats one size smaller in the hole were the water comes out about 1 to one and a half long that way the water does not hit my hull also i put hydrogen peroxide in the pan . it stops any odor.. you can also blow water ih the drain hole to clean it out

Johnny_Ohio
Guest Contributor
System comes out fairly easily. Dometic makes a stainless pan that comes as a direct replacement. Its coated with "spray on bedliner". Replacement for my 290's was $150 and about 2 hours of work in my drivevway. Call dometic with your model # and serial #.

Johnny_Ohio
Guest Contributor
If you're crafty enough to spray rustoleum ... you can do this job yourself 😉

radiojon
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I've heard about the newer pans but wasn't sure they were still available for the older models. I have a 2005 320. Sure seems like a ton of work to pull that unit out, especially with the rivets and all. Did you reference any type of guide or step-by-step on removal?

Johnny_Ohio
Guest Contributor
Mine was an 08 290 ... my unit was under the front berth. Hardest part was locating the 2 phillips screws that are buried in cuts in the padding of the seats. Once i found those, it couldnt have been 15 minutes and the unit was on the ground.

radiojon
Guest Contributor
How hard was it to detach/re-attach all the wiring and connections? Did yours need to be re-riveted?

Johnny_Ohio
Guest Contributor
Mine was really easy ... only a power plug and the tstat. The ducting was just ziptied on. I think there were some rivets now that u say it on the coil that i just replaced with SS screws and locknuts. Hoses were easy too.