cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi group! I'm about to install...

nicolas
Guest Contributor

Hi group!

I'm about to install a NMEA-2000 Starter Kit in my SD 208 and it needs 12v. I already have a Lowrance HDS-10 connected on (the inside of) the 12v outlet in the cockpit. Is it OK to connect the NMEA 12v cable to that as well, or is there any other place I should connect it to? Any help appreciated! 

13 REPLIES 13

nicolas
Guest Contributor
I mean SD 280... 😉

wingless
Rising Contributor
The NMEA-2000 Starter Kit is used for the on-board electronics. Why not set up an appropriate circuit protection system (fuses or circuit breakers) for the new electronics, including this starter kit?

TitanTn
Guest Contributor
The NMEA 2000 power needs to be on it's own circuit.

nicolas
Guest Contributor
Thanks guys for your help. Only thing it does really is to get the Smartcraft data to the HDS-10 via an NMEA2kGateway so I won't hook up new electronics really. But it sounds like a good idea :-). As far as I know, there is nothing connected to the ACC1 switch. How should I wire to connect to that? Can't find any info in the manuals..

nicolas
Guest Contributor
do you know how to do that @Paul Ferrara or @Rob Howell ? Any help appreciated .-)

wingless
Rising Contributor
On your 2005 280DA, there is a forward Electronic Interface Module (EIM) located at the helm in a compartment.

Even though the Lowrance HDS-10 doesn't need a helm ACC1 switch control because it already has a front panel switch, an examination of the wiring diagram from the attached Owner's Manual looks like that is the best option for power on your boat.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000UJF/8tYegIVcdIwXaNWqS5ncCDygQdgDmWoZqGufbYzJzWI

nicolas
Guest Contributor
Thanks a lot @Paul Ferrara.
As I understand the wire diagram, Page 54, the Fwd EIM ACCY goes to #20 in the J1 wiring harness which goes to a ACCY 1 Terminate and Coil. (on page #55). I understand that part. But where do I find the terminated and coiled wire more exactly?

nicolas
Guest Contributor
And what ground should be used?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Glad to help.

Start at the EIM, then follow the bundled wires, probably
heading towards the dash.

The ground bus bar location is not shown on the wiring diagram, Use a ground bus bar with existing black wires.

nicolas
Guest Contributor
Thanks a million @Paul Ferrara. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow 🙂

wingless
Rising Contributor
Has this been resolved?

MIke
Guest Contributor
The terminated and coiled wire is in the first inch or so of the bundle coming out of the EIM plug. Don't wast time looking further out the harness. It will be yellow and violet with a butt connecter pre attached.

HenryB
Guest Contributor
Keep in mind that by using the ACC1 circuit you will be limited by the amperage capacity of the breaker in the EIM. You might be better off running a larger gauge wire from the main positive terminal on the EIM to the footwell under the helm. There you can install a fuse block and create circuits with amperage that matches the device you wish to install.