cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of you with a Sundancer...

Stuframp
Guest Contributor

For those of you with a Sundancer 320 V drive or similar models who struggle to work in the incredibly cramped engine room, I thought I should share my solution that has made my access so much better.  I have installed a 10” wide diamond tread plate platform in front of both engines, which is mounted on to the existing small step in front of the port engine and extends to the lip of the battery ledge. I made it by welding a ¾” square tube steel frame that plates rest on. The plates are each attached with four screws for required access below the platform. My cursing while trying to work in the engine room has been greatly reduced.. See Pic.  

12 REPLIES 12

Chuck_O
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the idea. I have a 2005 320 with v-drives and I feel your pain. I'll look into this for my boat.

Dickcour
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the idea. My tech is working on it.

Stuframp
Guest Contributor
No problem, the supporting frame is pretty straight forward, but let me know if you would like me to take a picture of it.

Dickcour
Guest Contributor
Great, I am sure it would help. Thank you.

Stuframp
Guest Contributor
The frame is 48 x 8 1/2”. It is 8” from the battery ledge to the top of frame. I also put in a centre post for added rigidity that is 16 3/4” from base in front of transmission mount to top of frame. Diamond tread plates are 1/8”x24x10”.

twin_engine
Guest Contributor
I have a 34 ' Sundancer with the 7.4 Horizon engines wirh v drives. Struggling to work in the engine area is being kind. It is time to replace the manifolds etc on the starboard engine, which is not only packed very tightly in the engine area, but has the generator tucked in very closely on the the starboard side.

wingless
Rising Contributor
twin engine, it is probably time to replace the exhaust on both sides.

Prior to my exhaust redesign I would get 3-5 years from my raw water cooled exhaust, requiring annual disassembly for internal passage inspection.

My last disassembly after 4 years of service, the internals still look brand new.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Stuframp,

Nice job!

Thanks for sharing!

My speculation on that model is that exhaust removal is required when unavailable access is required.

Stuframp
Guest Contributor
Yep, learned not to try to do any work from the back side of the engines on my 320 (e.g. impeller replacement) without removing the lift muffler pot and hoses. Definitely gives you a decent space to work when done. But I can now do most work from the platform in front .

SamFisher
Guest Contributor
Wow! I have a 350 sd 2015 v drive same problem...what about grates instead of solid?

Stuframp
Guest Contributor
I am sure grates would work too.. Deciding how to fasten to the frame may be a little more work. I also like the solid platform because a lot of the time I am kneeling on it to access parts of the engine, seacocks etc.

Redhead
Guest Contributor
Awesome! This will be my new Spring project. Great design Stuframp! Maybe SeaRay will catch on and make a working platform some day a standard design.