cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a mold problem? ...

toner
Guest Contributor

Has anyone had a mold problem?  My interior developed some mold on the fabric.  What is the best way to clean it?  Also I keep the boat covered with cockpit covered never had a problem before.  I had the cabin door shut , maybe I should keep it open.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
A mild cleaning solution w/ bleach will help eliminate the mold.

Keeping the air moving, w/ a fan or w/ the A/C will help prevent the problem. Running the A/C will help prevent the problem. Using a dehumidifier will help prevent the problem.

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
Keeping the boat on a trailer, fully covered, in Florida, since 2008 and have never had a mold problem. I use DampRid and keep two big containers down below at all times. Mildew up in the cockpit is a given in this climate but down below has stayed very dry.

Greg8
Guest Contributor
I bought mine in January and had the same problem because it was kept closed in a damp, humid climate. I tried to clean it myself but finally got a commercial cleaner to come in and it turned out great. Several companies did not want to do it but finally got a local company to do it. They scrubbed and extracted then put commercial blowers in to dry it and it is all gone. There are solar driven vent fans that can be installed after this is done to prevent it from happening again.

Wilks1
Guest Contributor
I had a similar problem on my Sundancer. Here's what I did to clean & treat problem also how I've stoped it.
Marine31 makes products for cleaning & treating mildew problems, great stuff. I also purchased a cabin dehumidifier from "Davis Instruments". Put a small fan on the galley table to keep air moving in the cabin. Plus a box fan by the cabin door aiming tward the transom door (open). Trick is to keep the air as dry as possible & moving. Hope this helps.

Seevee
Guest Contributor
Good comments, however a real dehumidifier works well rather that the Davis unit, which heats the air, especially if your live in warm climates. The newer dehumidifiers are very small and work well.
A lot of AC units have a dehumidify mode, but you need a water source for that, so being on a lift or trailer may not work well.
As for cleaners, there's lots of mildew/mold cleaners out there... get a good one, but test on your fabrics.

ajb
Guest Contributor
When on dry dock I used a 5 gallon bucket filled with charcoal for winter storage, worked well.

Robby
Guest Contributor
We love DampRid 🙂