cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello boaters,I am replacing my...

Olly
Guest Contributor

Hello boaters,

I am replacing my cockpit refrigerator (Norcold DE0040) with a Norcold NR740. I am finding that it is not exactly a "direct replacement"  as the top rear left corner is hitting the fiberglass. It seems I need to lower the refrigerator by modifying the ledge in the opening where the back of the refrigerator sits. Has anyone else had to do this? I am hesitant to start modifying anything if I don't have to. I have a 2004 Sea Ray 300. Thanks in advance.

Olly

3 REPLIES 3

TitanTn
Guest Contributor
I don't have the same boat, but I recently replaced my Norcold with another Norcold that wasn't the exact dimensions. My boat is an 1987 and for certain it's hard to find a modern day fridge with the same dimensions. Even though you're much newer than me, I would assume you'd have a similar situation. I had to modify the hole, and I also had to cut on the fridge frame. I was very hesitant to do so, and measured 10 times before making the cuts, but in the end it worked out beautifully. So my experience is directly equatable to yours, but the bottom line is that I think you should expect to have to make some modifications.

MIke
Guest Contributor
You are pretty much stuck with a cabinet mod. I replaced a dead DE0051 with Norcold's "replacement" NR751BB. I had to cut 1 3/8" at the top of the frig and raise the bottom up the same amount. The original frig had an angle cut in the structure on the lower left back corner that cleared the hull. The replacement did not.

Also, test out the function of the new Norcold prior to installation. I got the first one fully installed and found out the 12v side did not work (120 only). Amazon sent a prompt replacement, but it was a pain in the backside having to install twice. Replacement works like a champ and will freeze everything on the "3" setting.

Olly
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions. I tested the refrigerator on the bench (ac/dc) all good there. I made a model of the frame so I can see where the unit hits interferes with the hull. I will take it down to the boat over the weekend and see what needs modification.