cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone, newbie hoping for...

BradSSI
Guest Contributor

Hello everyone, newbie hoping for some guidance. I've just purchased a 2001 Sundancer 280 which I plan to leave in the water so that my family can enjoy cruising throughout the winter months. We live on the west coast, the boat will be in salt water, and I will heat both the cabin and engine compartment at all times while moored at the dock. I've been searching for information on necessary winterization or maintenance, but I can only find information for boats which will be unused or removed from the water. Thank you kindly for any help you can provide!

Brad

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Is freeze protection required for the boat?

Is icing protection required for the hull to protect from the surrounding water freezing?

Does the boat have an onboard AC that could also be set to heat?

BradSSI
Guest Contributor
Thanks @Paul Ferrara!

I live on one of the southern gulf islands. The air temperatures do dip below freezing in the dead of winter, last year being one of the coldest recorded. It doesn’t last long, though, our avg lows in winter are about -2 Celsius.

We’re on the ocean here, so salt water, and the harbour and surrounding waters do not freeze.

The boat does have onboard AC, but I also have a portable unit which I set in the cabin, and I’ve just purchased a Caframo heater for the engine compartment.

Someone told me that we should always drain fresh water for winter and close off the valves for air con/heater and toilet intake and discharge. But if we’re going to continue to use the boat I’m curious if this is necessary.

I appreciate your thoughts!

wingless
Rising Contributor
The Caframo heater in the engine compartment does not sound like a good idea. Here is an example of one of their products. It does not appear ignition protected. That is a requirement that should be satisfied for devices in a gasoline engine compartment. The reasonable scenario that is handled by this is a minor incorrect fuel leak, creating fuel vapors, then the thermostat kicks on/off creating a spark that ignites the vapors.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Caframo-True-North-Electric-Space-Heater-9206CABBX/303963353?mtc=SEM-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_023_PORT_HEATING-NA-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-New_Engen&cm_mmc=SEM-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_023_PORT_HEATING-NA-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-New_Engen-71700000080005780-58700006720299604-39700060792329415&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwwsmLBhACEiwANq-tXIM8mklRUienknvuZ9wDUGxaVjl_L53lhCggESrySM2xubjK4ooNFxoCaW8QAvD_BwE

Yes, appropriate freeze protection is required. The parts of the fresh water system in the cabin will likely remain unaffected by -2°C, especially w/ either the existing AC/heater or the supplemental heater. The concern I would have is all the fresh water parts outside the cabin.

The "easy" fresh water solution is to winterize the fresh water system and leave it unavailable until commissioned for normal service in the spring.

The engine / drive has raw water stuff that should be confirmed for resistance to those environmental conditions.

My speculation is the raw water within the drive is the greatest concern. This document has some info.

http://pictures.dealer.com/ljpattersonsalesampservicedieppetc/8d24e3350a0e0acb1b2f5d8d6f6cecc2.pdf

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is an ignition protected heater that could be properly installed for usage in the gasoline powered engine room. There are other options.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/caframo--pali-bilgesafe-heater-400w-with-thermostat--12960282

BradSSI
Guest Contributor
That is actually the exact heater I purchased for the engine compartment!

wingless
Rising Contributor
That heater is not ignition protected.

Safety Instruction List includes many items defining why this would be inappropriate for usage in the engine compartment.

https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/18/1872fc04-d890-4fe8-81f7-91311f0ddf22.pdf

wingless
Rising Contributor
Also remember that a plan for protection that requires shore power will cease operation when the power fails, exposing the boat to freeze damage.

A plan that also includes remote real time alerts for power loss provides the ability for response to emergency power fail conditions.