cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Three years ago I started...

MrB18
Guest Contributor

Help, Three years ago I started having my 2003 Sundancer 300 shrink wrapped rather than inside storage.  It always was told to me go inside or shrink wrap to keep water from getting in crevices in the winter and freezing which will expand and crack where the water gets in.  Recently I was told the newer boats are so well made and have newer materials that you do not have to totally cover or store inside.  With the cost of both going up each year was wondering if anyone had an opinion or factual comments.

Thank You

Allen 

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Heated indoor storage is the best option for freezing winter storage.

Outdoor yard storage w/ a proper frame and shrink wrapping provides sufficient protection.

Uncovered outdoor storage is not something I would consider.

When my boat was yard stored, I had a checklist for winterizing the systems, to ensure all was good for commissioning in the spring.

MrB18
Guest Contributor
Thank You Wingless, my comments came from a conversation I had Sunday with an old timer like myself when we noticed a number of boats who did not shrink wrap or even cover their boats. I am in agreement and will continue to at least shrink wrap with a zipper door to get on and check during the winter

TandE
Guest Contributor
I’m pretty sure materials haven’t advanced to the point where they’re impervious to UV exposure. Why age your boat every off season? I don’t understand how people spend so much money on a depreciating asset like a boat and then neglect it like that.