cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi there, the port battery charger...

Scarey
Guest Contributor

Hi there, the port battery charger breaker on my 2011 310 Sundancer will trip after about 15 seconds after starting the engine and will continue to do so while the port engine is running.  The charger brings the battery to full charge while on shore power (engines off).   Would the breaker trip if the alternator is not functioning or am I dealing with something different?  The vessel view alarm went on just after I left our marina indicating low voltage on port side - should have checked battery gauge before I left!  Is there a way to minimize or shut off the vessel view alarm?  

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The wiring diagram in the linked Owner's Manual shows a single AC/DC battery charger, not a port and starboard charger, in both the single shore power cord and dual cord configurations.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000UNk/MzU7slAKBA7rB2jrWaL.h30AfCx3cuOuB2xOARBVBWM

Assuming the issue is with the port engine, when the AC/DC battery charger is being powered from the on board generator.

That should not happen. The battery charger should coexist with or without the engine running.

Why not do a temporary swap the battery charger being powered by a different circuit breaker? Do safely w/ zero AC power connected / provided by the boat.

Scarey
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless. I do only have 1 batter charger but there are 2 separate circuit breakers - 1 for port and 1 for starboard. The charger is working and charging the port batteries when connected to shore power. If i start both engines with shore power connected, the port battery charger circuit breaker trips. This does not happen if i start the engines without being connected to shore power. In addition, the port side battery gauge does not jump up above 12V when idling shortly after starting the engines. I don't have an onboard generator

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

Please post an image(s) showing the AC and the DC circuit breaker panel.