cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2008 280 sundancer. Have...

Stingray
Guest Contributor

I have a 2008 280 sundancer. Have a/c and heat but no generator. Does anyone know power draw each of these pull?  Have a 2200w portable and would like to know if it could handle heater or a/c. 

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
It is too bad your main distribution panel only has volts and not also an amps meter.

The AC circuit on your boat has a 20A breaker, so the maximum possible power is 20A times 120V or 2,400W.

It is possible that the 2,200W generator could support the AC load, but it might be too much.

The other concerns are for safety. A properly-installed generator complies w/ all the ABYC requirements, designed for protection. A generator sitting on the swim platform does not meet the safety requirements and presents abnormal safety hazards.

Stingray
Guest Contributor
Thanks wingless. I have the same concerns. Beat case I lose the gen into the lake. Worst case it the elec shock (water and elec mix) knock my ass into the lake. 😀
I think a D.C. Far for a/c and sweater/jacket for heater is best approach. Next boat will have a gen installed.
Thanks again for the response. Made me think about it.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Glad to help.

The ABYC safety issues cover: fuel / fire; electric / shock / fire and carbon monoxide.

Operation in a fresh water lake makes the shock hazard much more significant than salt water operation. It is possible to electrify a large zone of fresh water. Even the strongest person becomes helpless from that fault.

wingless
Rising Contributor
A safe modification for heat is to add a heater core to the engine w/ a blower box for warm air distribution. One of the systems includes a retractable flexible hose that can be jammed into a jacket so it fills w/ heated air.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is a vendor selling marine heater boxes.

http://www.heatercraft.com/

Seevee
Guest Contributor
You probably have the 10K BTU unit, like I do in my 2003 280 Dancer, which requires about 1000 watts to run, so your 2200w portable will work fine. When I had a 270 dancer I could run the 7500BTU ac unit and a coffee pot at the same time with my Honda 2000w unit.
However, startup load will be a lot more so it would be nice if your gen had a delay for startup so it doesn't pop the breaker.

As for ABYC safety issues, they are nice, but inaccessible for the average boater. You have to be a member and very expensive.

Stingray
Guest Contributor
Thanks seevee. This info will be helpful when we are "dry camping" dockside. Appreciate the response.

Seevee
Guest Contributor
Stingray,
When dockside, try to get a 120v, 30 amp plug in which will run the whole boat. A 15 amp plug in, which is normal house hold stuff, will run the AC and perhaps a few other lower powered things, like lights, receptacles, etc., but a coffee maker or microwave could be tight.

If you're in a hot area like I am, the AC will be a must. So, if you need coffee and micro for breakfast, you may have to turn off the AC for a bit.

But, when you can afford, get the Genset, it's just hard to beat, and can use it wherever.

Stingray
Guest Contributor
Good advice. I am in northern MI on Lake Huron. Will more than likely need heat vs A/C majority of the time.
But an on-board gen is definitely on the list of must haves on next boat.