cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2018 26' Sundancer with...

mikeatham
Guest Contributor

I have a 2018 26' Sundancer with a dometic Cruiseair system.  The seawater pump will not prime.  The strainer is clear, the seacock is open and the pump is running, but it will not pick up the water.  The boat is stored on a lift and the the water likely drained from the system.  What is the best way to prime the system.

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The A/C pump is likely below the waterline.

The easy way to prime the pump is: boat floating; seacock open; loosen strainer lid; allow raw water to overflow lid; tighten lid then the system is primed.

To maintain the prime, before lifting the boat, close the seacock. Open seacock after the boat is floating for normal operation.

Silverfoxx
Guest Contributor
Good morning,
I had the same situation..I tapped a plastic air bleed valve into the discharge line and I open the valve when in the water until all the air is bled out.
I know...another hole in the boat..but it works.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum @Lawrence Jolliffe.

There is not an issue poking new holes below the waterline in the boat. On my boat I have made three.

The issue is having everything below the waterline fully compliant w/ standards, like UL and ABYC. My boat remains fully compliant.

In the event of a loss, the insurance company will dispatch a forensic auditor as an attempt to deny coverage. If a failed owner-added bleed valve contributed to a loss then that will become part of the coverage discussion.

Seabuz
Guest Contributor
I have the same issue when I dump the boat in after winter storage. I loosen the hose at the AC pump when I see water coming out just reattach it. My boat is in water all season so the ac stays primed.

mikeatham
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wing, The water fills the strainer, the pump runs but I am still not getting flow thru the AC.

Seabuz
Guest Contributor
If your still having a problem make sure the water line to the AC is clear. If you disconnect the line from the pump and use a float blow up pump or hose and make sure water or air is coming out the discharge on the side of the boat, then reattach it.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I also had to disconnect at the AC unit and used a water hose to clear out from the AC unit to the discharge. Somehow must have picked up a lot of fine mud.

Silverfoxx
Guest Contributor
I put a valve in the discharge line of the sea water pump.That works.

keokukone
Guest Contributor
Had the same failure to prime on mr 2006 340DA cabin AC pump. Replaced with a positive displacement pump designed for continuous duty, a little more gpm, and more efficiency. Now its self priming. Pump cost about $250. Did the installation my self.