cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Quick Aleph AL1012 windlass...

MV_Second_Wind
Guest Contributor

I have a Quick Aleph AL1012 windlass on my 2016 370DA. Windlass will pull up anchor but now won’t let out chain. Not sure where to look for the issue.

8 REPLIES 8

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is the Owner's Manual for that windlass.

https://223q7h75gn32qstq5105w5p3-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/aleph_windlass_700w_1500w.pdf

Is the contactor being provided the correct voltages when the up and the down switches are being pressed, shown on page 14 for English.

MV_Second_Wind
Guest Contributor
Where is the solenoid located? Is it under the bow hatch by the windlass or located somewhere else?

wingless
Rising Contributor
The contactor on my 2000 380DA is on the side wall in the anchor locker.

The contactor on your boat is likely also close to the windlass.

This is identifying a bigger problem. Why haven't you clamored into every single compartment on that boat? You won't know what is in there until after poking in your head and looking around.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Note that on mine the down also broke, after the boat was ~2 years old.

Turns out one wiring lug stud on the motor snapped, leaving the thick cable dangling.

It was either over tightened at the factory during assembly or was defective.

My solution was to purchase and modify a bronze bolt, reattaching the motor winding (1/8" thick 1/2" wide curved band) using brush on flux and high temperature solder.

This repair has held up fine for decades.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My short term solution was to loosen the center nut to drop the anchor and the windlass motor to retrieve the anchor.

MV_Second_Wind
Guest Contributor
I know the guts of the boat really well. Here is the issue. You can’t get into the anchor locker except for this small hole & you can’t really see anything (Picture attached). I would have to remove that large plastic plate the windlass is mounted on but there are backing nuts that can’t be reached. I can’t see how to access locker from inside the cabin either.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Hmm, I stand corrected...

The anchor locker on my boat has a wedge shaped door. permitting a contorting adult (me) to climb inside whenever required.

Here is an image showing my elevated rode shelf that I fabricated.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47924117348_029067df0b_c.jpg

I also used interior access when adding a raw water wash down hose holder.

Does all of that windlass stuff detach as an assembly when the screws around the perimeter are removed? Those backing nuts should be able to be reached by an arm through that hole. Remember, the factory had to be able to construct the boat, so sufficient access had to exist somehow.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Also, insert a camera into the hole first and snap many photographs to avoid a wild goose chase by first imaging the interior.