cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently purchased my first Sea...

chrisj583
Guest Contributor

I recently purchased my first Sea Ray, a 260 Sundancer.  I did not get a trailer with the purchase but I am considering purchasing one.  Can anyone give me their opinion or share any experiences with towing this boat?  Additionally, any suggestions for obtaining a reasonably priced trailer in the Lake Erie area? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

FantasyFriesian
Guest Contributor
I easily towed my 260 Sundancer from Miami to the Daytona Beach area with my Ram 1500. I didn't purchase a trailer with my 260 either. I searched locally and found a small trailer manufacturer a couple hours away and opted for an all aluminum. It's lightweight and was built to fit my 260. I'll be using mine mostly in the ocean and wanted to avoid rust at all costs. Although you'll most likely be in freshwater you will still have to take into account the added weight of a non-aluminum trailer plus the boat and what you're towing capacity is. I paid under $5k for my trailer and glad I paid extra for the aluminum.

chrisj583
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I will continue to search for a suitable trailer. I am also looking for an aluminum one for the lighter weight to minimize the load on my truck.

Wilks1
Guest Contributor
I have a 27' Sundancer that I trailer. I recently purchased an electric winch to aid in loading the 6500lbs ++. Hand cranking gets old VERY quickly!!! After extensive research I decided on one from Dutton-Lainson Company, Hastings, NE. I purchased model TW9000 from Eastern Marine Newark, DE for under $500.00. Would suggest you get a weather cover for it at the same time. A 10,000 lb aluminum double axle trailer trailer is the only way to go, disc brakes eather electric or surge.

chrisj583
Guest Contributor
Great information Wilks, thanks for the response.

MikeSR270
Guest Contributor
Great information Wilks...I have a 94 270 Sundancer (newly purchased) and thats the trailer I have. Chris, just wondering if its a winch to pull the boat up on trailer or on the tongue to lift it up and down to get it on the truck. Its really heavy and I'd like to get that in electric.