cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member here. I am a Florida...

old_timer
Guest Contributor

New member here. I am a Florida owner, and I  Just purchased 2012  310 dancer.  And was surprised to understand there was no standard method of flushing the Mercruisers with fresh water after being out.  My last boat I had  water bibs that I would connect a garden hose to and run the motors (volvo) for awhile after crusing.  So the question is, recommendations please. What process works, and what aftermarket stuff works.  Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

gregk
Guest Contributor
I installed one of these and use a salt away mixer as well.
https://www.perko.com/catalog/underwater_hardware/62/flush_pro/

gregk
Guest Contributor
Perko Flush Pro

gregk
Guest Contributor
Make sure you order the correct size, my 350MAG uses 1-1/4".

wingless
Rising Contributor
The Perko product looks nice but I was unable to locate that it has a UL rating, unlike the UL rating that exists on all the existing raw water components installed by the factory.

When I flush the raw water system on my boat I use fresh water, soapy water, then Salt Away, followed by draining my raw water cooled manifolds, risers and elbows bone dry, ready for the next usage.

My seacocks are closed during the flushing, so only garden hose water can enter.

My OEM Mercruiser exhaust parts would last for 3-5 years prior to implementing the flushing / draining. My last annual disassembly for internal inspection after 4 years of operation revealed the parts still look brand new. My speculation is that these parts will now last the life of the boat.

gregk
Guest Contributor
Mercruiser also sells a flush kit that screws into the blue drain cap on the raw water pump. I could not use on my boat at there was not enough clearance.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Good info. Could you provide a link to that Mercruiser flush kit?

gregk
Guest Contributor
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/898235a01-flush-kit-mcm

gregk
Guest Contributor
Here is one I was originally talking about: https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m0057047-flushing-kit

gregk
Guest Contributor
Wrong link, this is the one: https://www.mercruiserparts.com/861932a1-flush-kit

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the links.

The raw water pump on my 454 MAG MPI Horizon engine does not have a blue drain plug.

That setup does not look convenient.

IMO it is important to flush after every usage, so ease is a factor.

Livin-R-Dream
Guest Contributor
I installed the Perko flush pro valves on my Amberjack, the hose connections were already installed on my transom and they work great, they only flush the engine not the outdrives. Just had my second new engine installed with full freshwater cooling. I flush both engines with fresh water after every use, FYI my Mercury Mechanic said that Mercury will void the warranty if you use the Perko pro flush valves, not sure why?

gregk
Guest Contributor
Mine has been out of warranty for a long time, been using the Perko setup for 17 years. Having visibility into the intake cooling line really helped when the bravo water hose was replaced and was adding bubbles to the system which caused the guardian engage to prevent an overheat. Immediately knew what the problem was. I also use it to tell if raw water pump is working correcting during spring recommissioning.

old_timer
Guest Contributor
Gregk, Great to hear. AS I said the fact it was plastic worried me, however, your experience has calmed my fears. The convenience of the unit is unmistakable, and Wingless said it, the more convenient the easier to do regularly.

gregk
Guest Contributor
Yes, the plastic has always worried me as well, so I carry a spare on board.

gregk
Guest Contributor
Alternatively one could carry a spare piece of hose and some barbs to bypass, especially if traveling offshore. Another season this also helped me when a 1/2" sea shell grew somewhere in the line after the bravo pickup and wound up getting stuck in the Perko. Otherwise it would have hit the water pump impeller.

old_timer
Guest Contributor
Hose and barbs a great idea. Not planning any off shore stuff, but still nice bit of "being prepared". Thanks