cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting issue, 2003 34' Sundancer, The...

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor

Starting issue, 2003 34' Sundancer, The Port engine starts right up. The Starboard would not but with no starting buzzer sound it started with the jumper button pushed in. All gauges came on, ran fine. Tried to start again later and it started with the jumper button pushed in; but when I let go of the jumper button it dies, Checked the batteries, all four are great. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Korkie
Guest Contributor
Bad Ignition switch? Theory: Not getting power from regular source. Jumper switch is sending power to the engine from the port switch through the stbd switch. With no sound on energizing the stbd switch, I would check to see that the switch has power going to it and out of it on the proper terminal when energized. Can use the port switch to compare. Using a test light. Hook to a good ground and start touching the terminals on back of each switch to see if you get the same results. First with switches off and then with switched on. My feeling is you will find you have no power at the stbd switch for some reason.

wingless
Rising Contributor
What voltages are revealed when the battery voltages for each bank is examined in the salon DC panel, before and after the Port / Starboard selection switch is pressed?

The applicable wiring diagram section for my boat is attached, yours will be similar.

Using a DC voltage meter, with the negative lead connected to a solid ground, start at the battery, continue to the solenoids, then to the engine, to verify that proper battery voltage exists when the bank contactor has been toggled to enable battery power to that bank.

Fast_Eddie1
Guest Contributor
Thank you Korkie & Wingless, that really helped. turns out it was a bad wire on the on/off switch behind the salon DC panel.