cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Sundeck

Steamboat
Guest Contributor

Ok, I’m an idiot, now with that out of the way. This is my first boat, I was in a new lake to me, I’m usually good at watching my depth, I got too shallow, my prop hit a rock, the bottom, hell, something. I have a Mercruiser 350 mag wiTh bravo 3 out drive. It ran great the rest of the day, got it home and was running the grandkids around and the engine stalled. Would not even turn over, hit the starter and heard a thud, but no rotation. No loss of oil pressure, dip stick showed good oil level, put a quart in anyways. It started to turn over, then finally started. Drove back home under 1000 rpm. No problems then. Took it out a week later when I went over 2000 rpm it bogged down, quickly shift to neutral, engine still ran. I can Run the engine on throttle only no problems, but engage the drive and it lockes up over 2000 rpms. I think the stern drive is toast. Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

cinphil
Guest Contributor
Never a good idea to overfill oil pan. Crank can hit oil in pan and cause issues. Check oil in out drive. If full and not milky, I suspect out drive is fine. Be sure propeller is not bent and takr oil out of the crankcase and I suspect you will be fine. Good luck.

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
You most likely broke something internal to the outdrive, most likely in the gears. I would recommend a visit to your Marine repair shop. They need to inspect the props, as well. They may be out of balance.