cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 sundancer 260

Mn1985
Guest Contributor

Just purchased my first boat 2018 sundancer 260. Has 61 hours and got it to my marina in slip. I connect my shore power cable to the 125v 30 amp pedestal and then to boat with all breakers off. When I turn on the main a/c breaker it instantly faults? The previous owner had plugged in and all was working fine at time of purchase.. any insight on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. 

no reverse polarity light on. Power light green. No voltage reading on house breaker with shore power connected. Cord being used tested good? 

thanks, Marc

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

Is it the pedestal breaker popping or the boat AC panel breaker popping?

If the breaker pops instantly that is indicative of a dead short and less likely an indicator of an overload.

Why not start w/ an AC voltage multimeter to verify correct voltages being provided by the shore power pedestal?

NEMA L5-30 Connector Pin Out (and others)

If the pedestal output is good, then connect just the dangling shore power cord and again use the AC voltage multimeter to verify correct voltages at the far end of the powered cord.

Mn1985
Guest Contributor

Thank you for the welcome and your reply. 

It is the breaker inside the boat (the ac main 30 amp breaker) when I connect the cord breaker off, go inside boat with shore cord connected and flip the breaker to on and the fault light instantly illuminates….I have tested the shore power cord and pedestal for correct voltage with a 122.6 at pedestal and 122.1 at end of cord connected to either outlet.  

wingless
Rising Contributor

Thanks for the updated info.

When the shore voltage is verified w/ a multimeter, is it compared to the specified polarity, from the prior link?

Correct polarity will have voltage from line to ground and from line to neutral. Incorrect polarity will have voltage from neutral to ground and from neutral to line.

For example, if the shore power has line and neutral swapped, the voltage will measure correctly from line to neutral (even though the polarity is swapped), but the breaker on the boat will pop instantly once turned on.