cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

300 weekender 1978 1st timer taking a trip looking for advice.

andyuk
Guest Contributor

Hi all.  I will tell you my plan, happy to be told i am doing it all wrong and accept constructive criticism.  At the end of February i intend to sail from Deltaville yacht center  VA 23043 down to a slip near Washington NC  ( NOT DC )  I have plotted a route to Hampton and use inland waterways rather than go out into the sea as i a worried to do that first time out. I will be alone after a 1 day course on how to operate the boat and basic knowledge of sailing rules.  I have lots of concerns !  my intention is to take it nice and slow and take 2-3 days. The boat has a Garmin GPS system which i hope will help me navigate but I am not sure about depths, The last thing i need is to run aground. I believe the full distance is close to 225 miles. i will fill the takes (150 gallons )  and expect to have to fill them again at 150 miles. I will board with food, a pillow, quilt, life jacket and a few cans of beer.  ( maybe my tool box )  I live in Greenville NC a friend is driving me up. Any advice is more than welcome.  Wish me luck

2 REPLIES 2

DMorris
Guest Contributor

Hi Andyuk,

A few thoughts, I don't know your waterways but I can almost promise you that it will be really cold at the end of February to go boating unless in a cabin in VA. If this boat is new to you might I suggest a few day trips with it first to see what works on it and how she handles. A garmin marine GPS plotter will let you know the depths if your depth sounder is not working. You can also get navoincs app on your phone to help you preplot the trip and give you info on depth. Don't count on your phone working though once you go out and loose signal etc. I would also plan on stopping more often for fuel and since it is winter I would call ahead and make sure they will be open. It sounds as if this might be you first big trip on a small boat that is new to you. You may wish to consider a a membership in seatow / boat US as a backup for towing if things breakdown on the water. Also consider having a working marine radio on the boat. Good luck on your trip.

andyuk
Guest Contributor

Hi, appreciate you taking the time to write to me and the advice is very helpful. I have not considered how cold it might be, the boat does have a working GPS with plotting and depth, there is no marine radio, I intend to install it before the trip.  I have included a recovery cover with my insurance. You are the second person to mention Membership to Sea tow maybe i need this also?