cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air horn on my 2006 MY stopped...

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor

Air horn on my 2006 MY stopped working. Compressor keeps running and found lever on compressor pressure switch to finally shut off. Manual shows air horn in anchor locker and it’s actually on roof. Any idea where the air horn switch valve is? 

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
The setup is frequently horn on applies power to the air compressor pump with the output directly connected to the air horns, w/o an air valve, causing the toot.

That setup could have an integrated high pressure cutoff switch to shut down the compressor.

If all that matches your boat, then it may be that your compressor isn't putting out air anymore.

My custom high volume / high pressure air system does have solenoid valves for my Kahlenberg horns and whistle.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4459/37523683810_c886ab2fc6_c.jpg

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
No, compressor fills tank. Gauge is stuck at 100 psi so I’ll replace it first. Then I’ll have to find the solenoid?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, get a working gauge.

The compressor system has several parts that must all work properly. There is the pump. The unloader / check valve ensures pump air enters the tank and doesn't go backwards when shut down, it also depressurizes the pump when shut down so the pump may start w/o working against a pressurized tank. There is also a pressure sensing switch, probably fixed settings, shutting off at a high pressure, such as 125 psi and turning on at a low pressure, such as 90 psi.

In a system like that there is a solenoid valve (or a manual lever valve) that toggles pressurized air to the horns. The optimum valve placement is close to the horns, so sharp action is possible and so the off sound doesn't bleed down.

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
Fixed. New pressure gauge, solenoid valve in center of roof cleaned out and diaphragm in air horn cleaned.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the update.

What corrected the problem requiring manually flipping the lever on the compressor to have it automatically stop?

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
Junk in solenoid valve let it leak by.