cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a portable generator...

Scoobie
Guest Contributor

Anyone use a portable generator to power their boat when not docked. I have a Champion 2400w that the previous owner had given me and would like to know how people are connecting and using them when out on the water. I know that you wouldn't want to run the generator when the boat is in motion, just want to get an idea on its used and the benefits, I assuming I'd plug it into the shore power. ....thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Sunbeam
Guest Contributor
I want to do the same thing. Haven’t purchased a generator yet and am a little apprehensive about running it on the swim platform. Biggest concern is CO getting into the cockpit/cabin area. Detectors are a must.

Charlie51
Guest Contributor
I have done it in the past while at anchor, bow pointed into the wind. But only while awake . I had CO detectors at the time. Not a good idea while running because it may fall off the swim platform. Currwnt boat has a built in diesel generator so no problem, but still have CO detectors.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
There have been MANY discussions about portable generators on boats and most people agree it's not a good idea. Charlie says it best and it's the operator's responsibility to be safe. I wouldn't do it just too risky.

Mike___Susan
Guest Contributor
I’ve done it with the generator on the bow, tied off so that it doesn’t move from vibration, exhaust pointed outboard, and used a dock power cable to connect to the boat. If the gen set doesn’t have a dock power (probably 30 amp) plug, you can get an adapter for that.

M___K
Guest Contributor
I used a Honda 2000 I generator in a 30’ boat I had in the past. Mine was plugged into the shore power inlet plug using an adapter from Marinco to fit the gen outlet. Our sat on the transom swim platform. At anchor the boat would swing with the winds and exhaust, theoretically would blow aft of the boat. It was limited to run some of the boat systems but not all at once ( such as water heater and microwave simultaneously)

Carbon monoxide is an extreme concern. We had multiple Co detectors in tge boat, all independent battery powered, not wired to the boat.

TandE
Guest Contributor
One concern I don’t see mentioned here is the fact that portable generators have carburetors and fuel systems that aren’t designed to manage fuel and fuel vapors in a USCG approved manner. If the float bowl overflows, raw gas will run out of the bottom of the generator and the vents on the carb and tank are all open to whatever place you stick the generator in; hopefully not anywhere above or around your bilge. Some of the Hondas were even recalled for leaking gas.

Korkie
Guest Contributor
Dangerous option. Most certainly DO NOT use it at night while sleeping to run your ac, etc. It could be the last thing you ever do.

M___K
Guest Contributor
Good info Korkie, I did not consider that. Present boat has diesels with diesel gen, so Thank You for the correction.

PIKES
Guest Contributor
Might want research a solar powered generator/inverter. Ex Renogy.com Jackery.com

Blkdragon
Guest Contributor
I use my portable gen on mine and run ac. I stap it on my back swim deck. No problems . Bring it in when boat is moving.

Korkie
Guest Contributor
Portable Gennys work well for running some appliances or recharging batteries. Just please DO NOT use it for ac or anything else while sleeping. As a paramedic on a peninsula, have seen too many that have and were found anchored and expired from doing just that. Very sad - avoidable tragedy.
You should also have a Carbon Monoxide detector in your cabin as a precaution even during the day when you are using it. You would be surprised how easy it is for the exhaust to make its way in there.

PJM
Guest Contributor
You can connect the generator thru your ship power cord just make SURE you get battery operated carbon monoxide detectors and yes use a couple they will save your lives install them lower than where your head will be if ever laying down and it's not recommended running them while sleeping