cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are filters reusable on ZF 63IV...

MV_Second_Wind
Guest Contributor

Are filters reusable on ZF 63IV transmissions or do they need to be brand new every change? How often does everyone change their trans fluid and filters?

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
My set of OEM manufacturer's documentation on the ZF Hurth 63 IV appears to be complete, with repair, installation, parts, technical data and specification.

None of those documents include the suggested fluid and filter change intervals.

The documents do categorize the usage of this transmission in our boats at the lightest severity usage, Pleasure Duty, 500 hours/year, plaining hull and large speed / power variations. There is also Light Duty, Medium Duty and Continuous Duty application categories for this transmission.

IMO the biggest risks are natural environmental and usage fluid contamination and raw water contamination from cooler failure.

An annual fluid / filter change would ensure this transmission would outlast the boat.

On my boat I designed and installed a custom high volume high pressure five zone oil change system, with zones to suck the transmission fluid from the bottom, where the drain plug was located.

IMO, the oil filter has exposed heavy duty reinforced pleats that look "bullet proof" and is reasonable to conclude that the filter could be removed and cleaned with a garden hose, permitted to dry and returned to service. I haven't done that refurbishment, but it looks possible to me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4602/38697255400_870a0b6402_b.jpg

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Remove the filter and examine it. If the filter is all metal it is designed to be solvent washed and reused. To wash, soak in a solvent like mineral spirits and slosh it around in the solvent than shake the filter out and let it sit until t he solvent full evaporates, usually overnight.

However, do not use water to clean the filter.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The aluminum finned and screen engine flame arrestors on my boat are removed and cleaned at least annually by me, along with the intake plenum and all the intake parts.

These parts are very clean when I start and look brand new when I finish.

These parts are cleaned w/ a soapy solution and a garden hose, then shaken dry.

There has been zero issue with this process after two decades. It is fast, easy and effective.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50403377487_269ecbb743_z.jpg

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Read the original poster's question.........he was asking about his ZF transmission filters, not flame arrestors. The transmission filters are designed to trap very small metal shavings so the internal orifices can catch and hold water if you wash with water which is not a good plan for a complex assembly that relies partially on friction to work.

If tyou don't want to buy a quart of an appropriate solvent, then go buy a new filter.......an $85 filter replacement is still cheaper than a $6500 transmission.

BigTuna
Guest Contributor
I use break cleaner spray, they look like new.