cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone routinely tow a 280...

Drago
Rising Contributor

Does anyone routinely tow a 280 or bigger SR?  Was curious about wide load permits and if people get these for there boats.  Im looking at going between Ms and Fl but I'm completely confused if this is necessary or best way to do if needed.

Thanks

Jim

5 REPLIES 5

FLYED
Guest Contributor
I understand 8ft 6 in is the widest load you can trailer w/o a permit

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
All of the states have adopted a standard of 8ft 6in as maximum width on any load or vehicle. If your beam is wider than 8ft 6in you would be required to obtain an over width permit from the states in which you intend to operate. Over width permits are available by several methods. Each state has its own system. Permits are available via internet, phone, and by personal visit to the jurisdiction office. Permits are issued either by time, three days vs. annual, and/or by highway route used. Suggest you start with your local state Department of Transportation office to learn specific instructions for your area. I have read that Florida authorities scrutinize oversize boat movements very closely as their is such a high number of oversize boats always moving on Florida highways. Do your homework!!!

Lil_Rug_Rat
Guest Contributor
I tow my 290 Sundancer without problems. I believe it is the largest without permits.

IanV
Guest Contributor
I tow my 1999 310 Sundancer. You need to pay close attention to pulling permits. State, and Local permits are required here in Minnesota. The permits outline what is required of you when towing. I typically buy annual permits and when going from Minnesota to Wisconsin, have to do the same with their State and Local. I know that there are services too that will do it for you if you are going through several states, or just within your own. I have to log the trip in advance and carry a copy of the paperwork with me. It's kind of a pain to do, but better than getting a ticket. In preparation to the first time towing, I called the state highway patrol and asked them what I needed to do. They were helpful in telling me what was and wasn't acceptable.

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
I tow a 280 in FL, 9'5" beam. Legally, you are supposed to get a wide load permit but I don't know too many people that do in FL. Once you leave the state, that is another issue. I know AL is real tough on wide loads. If you can get out of MS and into FL without a wide load permit, I would not worry about it (unless you have an accident, all bets are off then). I have seen 11' 6" beam boats trailered down to the Keys without wide load permits so a 9'5" beam is not going to raise any eyebrows in FL.