cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all members! Can someone...

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor

Hello all members! Can someone assist me, I have a 1992 400 EC. Lately on my runs the engines shutdown along with the generator dead in the water as if I had a kill switch. I have to parallel start to restart the engines. All the gauges turn off as if I manually shut down the boat. I have changed out the ignitions, changed out the Fire Boy, put in 7 brand new batteries, Changed fuel pumps. Ran new wires. However it still shuts down! Does anyone else experience this or have an ideas what may cause this to happen.

15 REPLIES 15

SMT
Guest Contributor
Check to see if you have a breaker before the starter sometimes breakers go bad they work fine while cool but when they heat up they fail.

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Don't see a breaker at all before the starters!

Cilla
Guest Contributor
Have u checked your battery switches?

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Hi!! Yes I have changed out all of the Battery Switches to new! Still doing the same thing!

SMT
Guest Contributor
What kind of engines are these?

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Cummings 6BTA

SMT
Guest Contributor
Cummings engines have a fuel solenoid, It should be on side or or bottom (or top) your fuel pump. When current is present from the ignition it opens the flow of fuel. When it looses current it shuts fuel off. That could be your problem. There is a simple test if you loose power open the knob on the solenoid if you engine shuts down opening it will let fuel thru and the engine will run, however the engine will not stop until you turn it back to the original position. I have never had a partial power loss like that, the solenoid usually always works or never works. It is possible you have a bad line to the fuel solenoid too.

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Thanks! I will look into this!

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Ok all seems well there. Technician is saying he is loosing power somewhere from the breaker panel in the aft engine room to the D.C. panel. He is not getting power at all and this is only happening on the starboard side. We think it is a broken wire but because the loom is running under the engine along the stringers we can't get to it to inspect it!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Is this work being done a real CUMMINS tech? If not, ripping apart wiring harnesses can be very expensive and most likely NOT the problem. Good luck

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
Hi no it's not! We decided for now to run a new wire direct! We can not afford to damage anything in the harness! Until I can get a Cummins tech to look at it. There are no certified techs in the Bahamas!

SMT
Guest Contributor
Did the new wire fix it?

Islndbwoy
Guest Contributor
We are planning a sea trial this afternoon!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sir..not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but a phone call to a CUMMINS service center in Florida sure seems appropriate...because many of the sensors are micro volts and applying 12VDC direct sure could mess stuff up.....

boater4life
Guest Contributor
Check all ground wires for tightness and corrosion.