cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone, I am a recent new...

Coach
Guest Contributor

Hello everyone, I am a recent new owner of an 2008 Sea Ray Sundancer 280. I have an owners manual, but, is there an operating manual. There must me something that shows an owner how to operate the boat. I have not taken possession of the boat yet (that will happen in a couple days), and would love to know more on how everything on the boat works. I also plan on taking a few lessons with a captain. Any advice on where to find this information?

Thanks,

Randy

13 REPLIES 13

wingless
Rising Contributor
Won't the seller show operation of the boat and the systems?

Yes, hire an experienced captain instructor for learning boat handling. Also take a boating safety course, such as from US Power Squadron.

The Chapman Piloting book contains everything required for boating operation and safety.

https://www.usps.org/index.php/boating-courses

https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-Small-Handling/dp/0688148921

Coach
Guest Contributor
The owner moved to New York and I am in Chicago. The broker is an experienced boater and Captain and he will show me a lot of stuff. Thanks for the links for information. I still wonder if there is an operating manual.

wingless
Rising Contributor
There will not be a Sea Ray operation manual. The Owner's Manual that you have describes the system.

The broker should take you out to demonstrate operation.

My guess is that the existing experience level is around novice.

My old-school head gains information by reading. Those w/ less orbits around the sun use video information input. Both are readily available.

The prior Chapman link is the "bible of boating". I've read that several times over the years.

There are lots of other good books available.

Coach
Guest Contributor
You are 100% correct in, "novice level." I've handled other boats but nothing like this. I'm a quick learner though. I do appreciate your comments and will definitely take a look at your link. Today we went and checked out the Chicago harbor we will use for the remainder of the season. So, until we dock the boat I will be learning more by the day. The broker will help me get the boat to the harbor and that will be my first lesson. Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Coach
Guest Contributor
Today will be our maiden voyage. Yesterday was a full cleaning. ready to enjoy the boat. My broker let me handle the boat a lot and I have a pretty good handle on the handling. I'm confident about backing up into the slip. So, I'm sure there is much more learning and I look forward to it and also a few Captain's lessons.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Good luck, be safe, keep up apprised of the progress.

Coach
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I'll let you know. The wife will be nervous and I will be cautious. Lake Michigan is much kinder today than yesterday. That's why we basically gave her a good cleaning. Have a nice day yourself.

Gin_s_Fins
Guest Contributor
Good luck coach. I'm in a similar situation (on Maryland Chesapeake but in an '01 260DA. So many systems I have never had to worry about before! Happy Boatiing!

Coach
Guest Contributor
Good luck. We learn by doing. So, today we get active and learn and have fun all at the same time.

300_sunpancer
Guest Contributor
All good info. I have a 2005 300DA. Owned for 10 years now. I ha e learned the hard way basic maintenance. Keep a set of wrenches, vice grips, spare serpentine belt and AIC valve. One day while at idle speed you will get an alarm or the boat will keep stalling at idle this is a common maintenance part as it is made mostly of plastic. It controls the airflow at idle speed and is very easy to replace. Also get a product at the Marine store called CRC656. It is a marine lubricant that keeps your engine and its components from rusting and getting dry and brittle. Spray it all over the engine

Coach
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the advice. Our na=maiden voyage today went well. Docking was a challenge but only took 2 tries. This CRC656, would that be good for the, bellows?

300_sunpancer
Guest Contributor
It's good for wires, connections, battery terminals. Some of the people at Marinemax told me they spray down the entire engines to keep them looking new. My other boat is 20 years old and the engine looks almost new

Coach
Guest Contributor
Thanks again for the input. Happy boating!