cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I am going to be purchasing...

JRSOME
Guest Contributor

Hello, I am going to be purchasing a 2001,  290 amberjack that does not have a windlass. The panel seems to have a breaker already built in it for one.  Is the boat already prepped with wiring going to the bow? Also what size and type of windlass is recomended? Any help wlll be appreciated. Thx Don

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck w/ your new boat.

Here is an example of the windlass on that boat.

https://d1h6cla1qbh6o4.cloudfront.net/Listing/172984/5707736L.jpg

It would be surprising to me if the factory installed windlass wiring when the boat was not equipped w/ that option.

Ensure the windlass is installed per the manufacturer's instructions and complies w/ ABYC.

JRSOME
Guest Contributor
Thanks so much for your help. I just may be back for more Q.

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
I put a Five-Oceans windlass on my 1998 Sundancer DA270SE a couple years ago. Fairly big job, because you need to route large gauge wire (positive & negative follow mfg instructions and account for the run distance) all the way from the breaker & battery to the bow. The breaker was in the engine compartment, but no other wiring pre-existed. You also need to run control switch wiring from the helm to the bow & likely install foot switches near the windlass. This is the hard part, since I needed to drop interior trim panels to route wiring on BOTH sides of the boat. I mounted the windlass to my anchor door, but it required modification to shim with a board and reinforcement and then I screwed the door down around the perimeter. That all said - such a labor saver during anchor deployment/recovery. I would spend the effort again to have that convenience!