cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDX 250 300 Verado Outboard

petdoc87
Guest Contributor

So I am looking at purchasing this boat. From what I can tell it does not have a ski pylon, nor is one offered by Sea Ray. It appears every other outboard model they make has this option. There is a mounting hole in front of the outboard in the floor for a ski pylon to be screwed into. This brings the rope above the motor. In the I/O version, there is a hook on the back of the transom under the rear seat. Waterskiing from a wake tower is pretty bad. The rope is too high and gets very slack on tight turns. 

Has anyone figured out a good workaround?  Seems like a pretty obvious omission for a deck/bowrider. If I can't waterski it makes the boat much less desirable. Obviously, I am not looking for a competition-grade ride, or I would buy a ski boat. I slalom ski on open water and am pretty aggressive on the turns. I can't believe I am the only one noticing this. Thanks in advance fo r your in

3 REPLIES 3

gregk
Guest Contributor

Have not tried it, but you might be able to made a bridal and use the two stern cleats if no obstructions to the rear.

petdoc87
Guest Contributor

I tried that on my stern drive. Seemed like a great solution. Unfortunately not great. The rope gets pushed underwater on takeoff. Probably wouldn't matter for tubing or if on 2 skis. On a slalom ski the angle makes it much harder to get up. 

If you ask me Sea Ray should be providing a solution to this. Like I said only sport boat they have without a ski pylon. The tower is great for wakeboarding, OK for tubing, and terrible for skiing. The upward angle prevents aggressive turns, the rope actually gets slack. The 260 SLX outboard has a fitting in the deck in front of the motor to screw a ski pylon in. Why didn't they do the same for this model?  

petdoc87
Guest Contributor