cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey folks. Can we have a conversation...

RMS
Guest Contributor

Hey folks. Can we have a conversation on teak. I have a bunch on my 55 and even though we wash the boat weekly the teak is spotted or dirt stained. We think it is trees as well as regular use. My question is once I clean it what success have you had with treatments to help keep it clean and or “sealed”. Don’t want to varnish it that leaves you with a huge mess in a short period. We are in Ontario for context of weather. 

3 REPLIES 3

keokukone
Guest Contributor
Had teak steps and trim on my previous boat. A concentrated soap plus mild bleach removed the accumulated dirt. But teak oil restored the color and finish. Had to apply two or three times a year though. No varnish or finish I used lasted more than a year.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Try "Just Teak" products, first clean, sand and repair, then use a brightener, Don't use bleach. Then 3 coats of sealer applied with painters cloth. I'm on my second year and it still looks break. Use the natural finish sealer. I've tried the water base products, they don't last and the sealer comes off with washing. Try it, you'll like it!

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
There are plenty of 2 part teak cleaning products out there. I use the West Marine cleaner/Brightner on my cockpit floor about every 3-4 months makes it look like the day I freshly sanded it 3 years ago.