cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi i have a new 270 sdx OB. All...

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor

Hi

i have a new 270 sdx OB. All good so far but they outfitted it with a SIMRAD at the helm which is built in and the only way to get to the microSD chip is to open the cabinet underneath the dash and essentially become a contortionist and try crawl in there and then snake your am up through the wires into the back of the unit  to pull the SD card out. Managed to get in there but can’t for the life of me pull the card out . Anyone else experiencing this ? 

25 REPLIES 25

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
Yes, we have the same challenge on a SDX290 OB. Here is the trick:
Do your best to get your upper torso into the storage space. With your left hand, reach in and pull the rubber water seal tab OFF of the unit. It will come off with a firm tug. The the rubber seal tab off, you will be able to use a fingernail or other thin object to depress the SD card, It will release and allow you to firmly grip the SD card for removal. The rubber sealing tab will press back into place after the SD card is re-inserted. Go slow and carefully so you don't drop the SD card. It will be gone forever.......

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Thank you , so actually push it in and then it will eject out ? I had tried it but it didn’t work . Let me try again. I also ordered a pair of plastic tweezers so I might try that next time I’m on the boat. Appreciate the quick response. Thank you so much for that

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
The SD card won't "pop out", but the tension release will allow it to partially eject. You will then have a sufficient edge to grasp with your fingers or tweezers.

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Thank you. I’ll try it ! I think they have to rethink that going forward. It can be a nightmare getting in there

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
It worked! Thanks you so much. The tip about pulling the rubber seal off completely was the magic trick. Really helped me get in there

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
I also have the 270 sdx ob. My boat has a slight lean to the starboard rear side when empty. Does your have the same lean?

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
I’ve honestly not noticed but I’ll keep a sharper eye on it and report back next time I’m on it

Beach_Music
Guest Contributor
Paulswagelock1- my 2019 SDX 270 does have the lean (not just when empty) I know it because I recently moved it to a wet slip and I know the new bottom paint is level, but the algae waterline is different on each side. On one side it’s above the bottom coat and leaves a stain in my gel coat and the other is cleanly in the bottom paint.

Probably an 2-3 inches different side to side.

tolatron
Guest Contributor
I switched it out for a Garmin unit. Much better form and function.

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Hmm. That’s an interesting point. I’m finding that the SIMRAD is not as intuitive and user friendly as I would like, but maybe in part that’s because I’m new to it. I’ll look into the Garmins

tolatron
Guest Contributor
If you'd like I can take a photo of my dash. The display is better and the UI is easier to navigate. All around a better unit. Don't know why SeaRay use Simrad.

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Sure that would be great. I might also head down to WestMarine and see if they’ll let me play around with the Garmins. I’m finding that I’m actually using my IPAD with Navionics app more than my SIMRAD for navigation so it kind of defeats the purpose

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Beach music- thanks, both the trim tab pump and steering pump are in that corner, so I guess there is a cause for the lean. Thanks for confirming that it is not a specific boat problem to my boat.

ptmclaughlin
Guest Contributor
I went on Amazon and bought a sd card extension. Popped that in than it was easier to get to later.

Beach_Music
Guest Contributor
Ndellaserra
I do the same, but was looking at the Navionics card for the Simrad
Was hoping my transducer would then update to the active captain maps with actuals

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
I like the idea of the micro SD card extender. I just ordered extenders. Two for the Simrad slots and one for the vesselview slot. Should make the updating process much easier. Ptmclaughlin, do you leave the extension cord in place permanently??

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Going to try the extender. Great tip . Thanks so much for that

ptmclaughlin
Guest Contributor
I do. I just let it lay behind the access panel.

BRUCE_SEA
Guest Contributor
Just got my extenders for the ss card but I don’t understand the vessel view extender what is that for, I thought all updates on that went through the simrad

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
I am not an electronics expert, but I have figured out that vesselview updates can be downloaded to a microSD card installed in the simrad card slot. After the download is

ptmclaughlin
Guest Contributor
I have had to do it a couple different ways since owning the boat. The last time I did an update I was able to just download directly to the Simrad unit using wifi.

ndellaserra
Guest Contributor
Yeah that’s how I did the Simrad update too . I tethered it to my phones hotspot and it worked fine

ptmclaughlin
Guest Contributor
Now updating the vesselview that way did not work.Had to load it to the sd card. That module is a pain to get to also.

LBI270
Guest Contributor
You need a bit a feel for sure to insert and take-out the microSD. Make sure you’re using a card <32GB or Simrad will not acknowledge a card was inserted. Once in update worked great. I’m going to search for VesselView module next.

mg
Guest Contributor
Hi, I own an SDX 270 OB. Do not like the Simrad unit. What is the Garmin unit you recommend to change for the Simrad ?
Thanks