cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1996 250 Sundancer. Ever...

Cap_Ken
Guest Contributor

I have a 1996 250 Sundancer. Ever since the boat was trailered to Florida from up North, my tachometer and trim gauge  are reading inaccurately. The tachometer gets up to 1800 when it should be reading 3400. The trim gauge when I slightly touch the trim on the throttle lever goes up to full up. I bought a new trim gauge and the same thing happens. I checked all the wires on the back of both gauges and all are okay.

3 REPLIES 3

JRT
Guest Contributor
Some of the tachs have a 4-6-8 selector switch on the back and cycling it back and forth and reinstalling will sometimes help. Cheap solution to try first. The trim sender on the outdrive goes out pretty often and sends the wrong info to the gauge on the dash. I'd replace the sender on the outdrive and see if that's not the problem.

Cap_Ken
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I tried all the positions on the rear of the Tach. I will try replacing the guts to the trim senders. Replacing the senders and wires is a major job. it's odd both failed after the trailer ride. I guess a lot of bouncing. The tach is only 3 years old.

JRT
Guest Contributor
OK, only 2 other ideas-- When we replaced the trim sennsors on my Bravo 3s, we just spliced into existing wires, didn't run all new wires. Pretty straightforward. On the tach, there is an outfit there in Florida , [email protected] · 904-701-9726 , that will repair your existing tach if that's where you have decided the problem is. I'm sure they can test it for you before they rebuild. Good luck!