cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2002 410 Express with...

dannysale1
Guest Contributor

I have a 2002 410 Express with a westerbeke generator. The gen has 400 hrs on it. I have been replacing fuel pumps quite regularly. It seems like it might be having issue with gas pickup. I installed a clear fuel filter below my factory filter. You can watch the clear filter and it shows fuel going from nothing to normal and back and forth. With lack of fuel the pump gets hot after running it on a long day, gets really noisy and sometime stops. The gen does not act like it is starving for fuel ever. I have even installed another gas line at tank with a tee above fuel filter thinking it might have an issue with pick up tube. When removing plugs on top of tank is there pick up tubes, or is that something I need to add? One other issue is just changed oil on gen. and It starts fine, but it won’t keep running unless you keep holding up on the start button. Let off and it dies, push up on it and starts fine. Generator westerbeke H.P. 13.5 - Model 7.0 / 5.0 - Spec. BCCB HC - Serial number 994642-E1.1. 0.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

wingless
Rising Contributor
Can't fine a Westerbeke BCCB HC. Please confirm the model designation.

Gasoline or diesel?

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
Thanks for responding, I need to check the model , I will get back with you , have to get to the boat. It is gas.

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
What I find on model # 5.0BCGB / 7.OBCGB. I am having trouble finding whether it is 5.0 or 7.0 . How do I determine this. Thanks for your help.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My 2000 380DA has the 7.0 BCGB, Yours probably has the same.

The preheat (ON) switch provides voltage to the carburetor choke solenoid, plus to the K2 RUN relay.

My guess is the problem is in the carb, not in the electrics.

When the carb is examined, does everything move freely?

At one point, stuff in my carb got sticky. I cleaned and lubed the parts, then all was good again.

My boat has three electric hull fuel shut off valves. The twist knob toggles from always on to electric on/off control. Does the generator get sufficient fuel when that valve knob is rotated to the always on position?

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless I will check all this out later today, I really appreciate your help. I was getting so frustrated with the fuel pump I removed it from gen and put it were easy access.

wingless
Rising Contributor
You're welcome.

FWIW, the fuel pump should operate continuously, slowing / stopping delivery when the carburetor float valve shuts off fuel flow, for a full carb bowl.

This is easy to audibly hear before the engine starts. Press and hold the preheat (ON) push button, listening to the only sound, the fuel pump. It will initially sound normal, then slow to a stop as the carb needle valve stops flow.

When I am starting my gen, I use that audible change as the timing to press the start button. Not for the effect on carb fuel level, but instead to allow the choke solenoid to move.

Also of note, on my boat there is a remote generator switch panel in the salon, in addition to the on board panel on the generator. The generator will start properly from the salon, but immediately stop when the preheat (ON) is released if the on board generator switch is in the OFF position, instead of the middle RUN position.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The attached housing image, prior to cleaning and painting, shows the model number label.

The same generator may be tuned for 50Hz or for 60Hz operation. When tuned for 50Hz, 1,500 rpm, the model number is 5.0 BCGB, when tuned for 60Hz, 1,800 rpm, the model number is 7.0 BCGB.

wingless
Rising Contributor
This attached fuel pump image, shows replaced hard fuel lines, replaced fuel pump, with all parts cleaned and painted.

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
Wingless, I took some pics today but I don’t know how to get them to send without your email. If you don’t want to give it to me I understand. I checked all linkage out and all is free working. What I found out today when I hold start button it never stops clicking, that has never happen before. That means no gas is getting to carb. Right? Also I checked the auto shut off and it is in the on position. That’s one of the pics. One of the other pics is how I mounted the fuel pump off of motor. The other pic is my optional fuel pump if the other one quits.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The forum permits attachment of one image per post, like shown in my replies above, or multiple image links like this in one post. Please post the images in the forum to benefit all, now and later.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48901381777_a53823f14b_c.jpg

The linked image shows two of the Parker Skinner V5C72120 shut off valves on my boat, w/ electric control when the arrow points left and always on when the arrow points right.

Yes, if the fuel pump clicking doesn't slow when the gen is off and the preheat (ON) push button is held then it sounds like fuel flow isn't happening.

The GREAT thing about these boats is the on board spares. I've used those LOTS and LOTS to analyze the problem w/o having to throw expensive parts at the boat.

Why not just move the fuel line supplying the gen, from the gen valve to the starboard engine shut off valve, and twist that knob to the ON (right) position to see if fuel flow is restored? Same also for providing fuel to the engine through the gen valve, also in the ON position, to check that shut off valve?

Was the on board gen switches checked to determine if the OFF / RUN / START switch is in the middle RUN position so that the engine will continue running after the preheat (ON) switch is released?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Note, if moving the fuel hoses, that is for test purposes at engine idle only, because the gen has a small hose and the engine has a large hose.

The small hose would be fine for an engine idle rpm valve test, but too restrictive for normal operation.

Always be careful w/ fuel hoses to ensure secure and leak free prior to operation.

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
Wingless, again thanks so much for help. I am real cautious about gas issues and fires. Being an assisted firechief back years ago. I will check gen switch and make sure it is in the middle. Never had issue before. I have same shutoff valve. Can these valves go bad? Could something be restricting the gas at the pickup tube? Could the pickup tube fell off? I actual have two of the access ports From gas tank hook up to the shutoff valve. I thought maybe something was getting sucked up into pickup tube and that is why I hooked up the second one. Has not made a difference. I think in the last three years I have put about 100 hours on gen. I think I am on my 4th fuel pump, and the one now is banging from lack of fuel or getting hot. I still would like to know is there pickup tubes in the gas tank that are welded in place from factory. If so are they on every access port on top of tank? I will try to post pics of what I have did to resolve my problem with no success.

wingless
Rising Contributor
It is possible there is a problem affecting providing normal fuel to the generator pump. I have no experience with those possible problems. No idea on the fuel tank construction. I would guess they would have used replaceable tubes, to permit field service, like shown in the linked image.

The suggested proper swapping of parts will remove or confirm those concerns. If the gen pickup is bad, then usage of that on the idling starboard engine will detect that problem. Same also for the valves.

Additional caution, use thread sealant rated for gasoline on MPT fittings.

As is shown in my OEM fuel pump image, the 12VDC electric fuel lift pump is connected to an integrated raw water cooler.

Is it possible that the temporary fuel pump relocation is causing the problem, such as requiring the pump to provide excessive head, beyond the capabilities?

https://www.marinepartssource.com/electric-fuel-pump-gas-12-vdc-mmdw-40384?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4kb_pbllL8EWCS83ji8M5zdNi_nkHw1dL0npryulFnPkGzq25DfCasaAvOfEALw_wcB

https://image.fisheriessupply.com/f_jpg/f_auto/t_Legacy-750x750/v1/static-images/moeller-marine-fuel-pickup-aluminum-withdrawal-tube-assembly-threaded

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
Wingless, again thanks for your help. Maybe one of these days/ years I can figure this out. I guess just keep replacing fuel pumps until problem solved.

wingless
Rising Contributor
You are welcome.

Please post image and updated results when available.

My Westerbeke 7.0 BCGB has been a solid performer, but I have been disappointed on the repair / maintenance parts cost.

wingless
Rising Contributor
What is the status of this issue?

dannysale1
Guest Contributor
I have to apologize for making this a new topic. Nothing had change since last October. Still trying to come up with a fix. I have tried some other things as I listed this morning.