cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm back again: This is my best...

George_DeSchryv
Guest Contributor

I'm back again: This is my best resource to find feeds regarding my 1986 Weekender 300. Can anyone tell me how to remove the 'portlights' or 'windows in my boat? I can't find any info on these windows. There are 3 in the v-bunk area oval in shape, 22 inches long and 4 inches at the widest width. They are 'cloudy' and have many cracks. I would like to remove and replace, depending on price, the 3 portlights. If I cant find the 'frames' is it possible to remove the old glass (plastic)? and just have some lexan cut to fit? Do they come out by removing the 'inside' frame or start on the exterior. I noted on one window previous has put a couple of screws in the ends of the frame outside. Any help is appreciated as usual............... George

4 REPLIES 4

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Tough one. Some port holes have stainless screws that go all the way through and act like a clam shell to seal the opening. You will find that any nice stainless replacement will be expensive. Can you see who the manufacturer is?

1956olds
Guest Contributor
The exterior plastic trim pops off,some have 4200 holding them on.The windows are screwed on under the trim ring and sealed with sillycone.searaymn13 on ebay will be your best friend for replacement

Wayne_Kath_415A
Guest Contributor
I re-sealed my 1988 415 Searay forward stateroom windows four years ago and suspect your's may be the same design. For me the job involved the following: remove inside frame and outside frames. The outside frame removal will expose SS bolts that thread into flat nuts located on the inside. Once removed, be sure to store these flat nuts carefully for re-use. Once the plexi windows were removed, I was able to completely restore to the original finish high gloss finish to each window by hand polishing using a mild rubbing compound, working up to a high quality wax as a final finish. My plexi-windows were not flat (they are molded to fit the opening) so for me, replacing four windows was not an option. My windows appeared to have been factory installed using silicone but I chose 3M 5200 for the re-install. Be firm but gentle with tork when re-installing as all plastics become brittle after years of exposure to outside elements. My windows are now completely water tight and look like new.

George_DeSchryv
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the advise: Fortunately my partner found the portlights I needed at :searayman13.com: He shipped them to me and I had no difficulty installing them. They look great. I think they are 'polarized lens'.