cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm wondering if we should replace...

jimbochicago
Guest Contributor

I'm wondering if we should replace our battery on our 190SPX. We got it new in 2018, but I have always heard batteries last only four years. I certainly don't want to get stuck out on the water. Should we go for a new one, even if the current one checks out?

6 REPLIES 6

gypsmjiminc
Guest Contributor
I buy only top quality marine deep cycle batteries (or dual purpose) - not wallybatteries - and check them monthly with a simple digital cigarette lighter voltmeter. They are usually discharged no more than 80%. In that case, if I'm going to use the boat in a couple of days, I forget it. If its Winter and the boat is on the hard, I recharge. If its 70% or less, I check it another month or 2 and replace it if it doesn't meet the 80% criteria.

I usually get about 8 years on a good battery. If I don't it was a cheap battery or it was defective.

The battery on my classic car had a premium Die Hard in it, and the car gets used much less than the boat. I just replaced the battery after 25 years.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The best option is to maintain the systems, including the batteries so all are okay.

The best configuration on a boat is to have redundant options for starting. That includes multiple isolated battery banks, plus my boat has a third bank just to start the generator, that will then power the on board battery charger.

With this configuration I would have to try really hard to attain a flat batteries / no start condition.

A well maintained flooded cell battery typically lasts about 4-5 years. An AGM battery lasts longer.

My selection is the Lifeline GPL-31XT because the capacity is 125Ah, 25% more than other brands.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-31xt/

A battery is considered End of Life when the measured capacity is less than 50% of the nameplate rating. My Old School method is to do a run time test, to quantify the run time, compared to the 20 hour spec. I use my carbon pile load and my DC ammeter and my DC voltage meter for the test.

gregk
Guest Contributor
I have had really good luck with the Group 27 Marine batteries sold at Napa auto parts. They sell starting, dual purpose, and deep cycle. Got 7 years out my last one. They are made by East Penn Mfg and cost about the same as others.

Lakebum
Guest Contributor
I think the 2018 SR190 has one battery. If it has a second for accessories then same advice applies. Replace the battery(s) with quality AGM type batteries. All OEM manufacturers agree on this when servicing used boats.

DMorris
Guest Contributor
Hi I replaced the battery on my 310 for the same reason at 5 years. I swapped out each bank by about 6 months to space out the time of failure. One point, if you change chemistry (ie flooded batteries to AGM), make sure your battery charger can support IT. They normally have different charging curves.

TJH
Guest Contributor
I have keep a battery tender on my airplane and the battery is going on 7 years..I also have one on my 190 like yours with no issues. (My battery is the same years) Costco is selling a compact lithium battery jumper on line for $20 off this month ($69 with free shipping). Cheap insurance for any boat!