cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 2001 Searay 340 Sundancer....

MikeCin91381
Guest Contributor

I own a 2001 Searay 340 Sundancer. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the windshield is shrinking back in places. It’s a Taylor Made windshield. Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement parts?

14 REPLIES 14

wingless
Rising Contributor
The part is available to purchase by the foot from the manufacturer Taylor Made. Here is the link.

https://www.taylormadeproducts.com/hardware/screw-cover-vinyls/

When mine shrunk to expose the interior, shortly after the boat was built, I replaced those vinyl parts. It has been fine since the replacement.

Instead of cutting the parts square, like was initially installed, I cut them to match the windshield angle, plus cut them to the maximum length, so when the expected shrinkage occurred the edge would still be concealed. That has worked for well over a decade.

I also removed and replaced each screw sequentially, squirting in RTV sealant into each hole at the time.

wingless
Rising Contributor
This link has the manufacturer's instructions for replacing the screw cover vinyl, also stating to cut matching the angle.

https://assets.lci1.com/tm-www/pdf/hardware/TMS-006+Screw+Cover+Installation.pdf

MikeCin91381
Guest Contributor
wingless- thx so much for your assistance. Much appreciated.

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
Hey Wingless, which part number worked for yours? I have a 2000-380 also and need to order this…

wingless
Rising Contributor
Sorry I don't have the part numbers for the side cover or for the center cover. Perhaps Taylor could assist.

Mark_A
Guest Contributor
Just a note, I replaced mine and two seasons later it started to shrink again. Seems to be a design problem.

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Mark Arning, that is very strange.

My experience was the new (factory installed) screw cover lasted about two years before it shrunk to expose the edges.

When I replaced those parts I
discovered the edges were cut square, not following the angle of the windshield.

When I replaced those parts (over a decade ago) I matched the angles and I cut them to the maximum possible length. I needed to force the parts into the cavities. Mine are still fine.

Were your parts cut to match the angles and also cut to the maximum length?

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
Pretty sure this is for the side parts of the windshield cover

https://www.searay-parts.com/Sea-Ray-Windshield-Screw-Cover-Trim-Part-8349030-p/trimws30-8349040.htm

Mark_A
Guest Contributor
Wingless - yes, I also cut the ends on an angle and stuffed it in as tight as I could. Pretty disappointed when it began to shrink. Thanks.

MikeCin91381
Guest Contributor
Thanks for more insight. This will be a spring project since boat is on land storage for the winter. Any suggestions on the # of feet I should purchase for a 2001 Searay 340 Sundancer?

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
Mike
Is your windshield frame stainless like mine or aluminum? My 380 needs 27’ so you will be less than that, I just don’t know how much. This doesn’t work for the center section, I believe there is a different gasket for that. Not positive though

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, there are two different part numbers, one for the center, another for the sides.

@Mark Arning, thanks for the detail. Agreed w/ the disappointment.

MikeCin91381
Guest Contributor
Wingless - I'm just getting back to this email Do you know the part # for the center section. Thx

Royalboater
Guest Contributor
Replaced the gasket as well and years later, same result. Also the powder coat is bubbling for the second time. Disappointing.