cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I upgraded from a 95 Four Winns...

Jason_R
Guest Contributor

I upgraded from a 95 Four Winns Horizon 190 to a 95 Sea Ray 200 BR Signature. It’s a nicer boat in pretty much every way except for how it handles at idle to very low speed which I have to drive it at a lot of the time. Compared to the FW boat, I have to very actively steer it back and forth to maintain my course. The steering is also tighter so my arm is literally fatigued and sore from steering it after a day on the water (not oversteering, at least much). It handles much better on the lakes at higher speeds and definitely handles the bumps better than the FW. Is this normal? Is there any kind of adjustment to make? I’ve read that a four blade prop might help some.

4 REPLIES 4

TWW
Guest Contributor
I believe it is common for boats of that era. My '07 185s steers poorly at low speeds as well. I somewhat compensate by putting in small corrections well in advance and try to put some pressure on the wheel to counter the (in my case) rightward pull of the prop. All docking has to be well planned in advance, especially if there is wind. Mine also rides well on rough water when trimmed correctly which is a little hit or miss depending on conditions.

EdK
Guest Contributor
I have a 2014 240SD. Hard steering was solved by replacement of the steering cable. My boat wanders a lot at low speed too. There is significant slop in the steering arm pinch bolt connection which lets the stern drive flop around by several degrees. I am told it’s only a nuisance and not unsafe. I’d fix it but that apparently requires engine removal and potential transom bracket replacement, somewhere between $3-7K.

prelab
Guest Contributor
I have a 1995 230DA. My hard steering was also solved with cable replacement. The boat wanders at slow speed.

adp1675
Guest Contributor
Was your FourWinns a Merc or Volvo/OMC I/O The Merc's tend to wander more than the Volvo/OMC