cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've got a 2016 510 that I got...

Pudge
Guest Contributor

I've got a 2016 510 that I got in July and this fall when it started to rain (I live in Seattle) some water was coming in at the bottom corner of the port windshield. I couldn't see where the source was but took it to Sea Ray and they ultimately pulled out the windshield and reseated it. Still leaked so I took it back in and this time they tested it (spraying water) and nothing showed up but the popup vent was leaking and even had black mold. That was replaced as well and guess what? Still some leaking in the same spot. I've looked all over an laid out paper towels and sprayed water in sections including on the sliding sun roof and can't find a source. It's not a ton of water but there shouldn't be any and my concern is rot at the source.. I'd appreciate any help, thoughts, similar experiences, etc. Thank you. (images attached)

5 REPLIES 5

Pudge
Guest Contributor
The only diagram I could find

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the images, they are very helpful.

It looks like the hardtop / windshield assembly is setting onto / attached to the top cap and that exterior water is leaking into the interior side of the windshield, still on the top cap, but no leakage has been noted into the interior. Is all that correct?

If correct, then it appears that the dealership didn't properly seal the windshield during the removal / replacement.

It may be that something like this EPDM tape, properly applied to a properly prepared surface will have a better result.

https://www.amazon.com/XCEL-Weather-Stripping-Adhesive-Resistant/dp/B07KCGDYJS/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=epdm+tape&qid=1615399923&s=industrial&sr=1-10

Pudge
Guest Contributor
Wingless(aka SG) Thanks for the reply. That is correct and unfortunately I think they are going to have to do it again.

Danny_Munson
Guest Contributor
I have a 2016 510 fly. I too have leaks around the front windshield. Same general area. I will let you know when we fix it. I also have a leak problem in the flybridge towards the port stern. There is a access panel where AC lines, etc. go through, and somehow when it rains, the water makes its way to the back corner of the cabin by the sliding door! Really difficult to access. May end up taking the entire back seating area out!
I can't believe that whoever seals these things at the factory doesn't understand how important properly caulking these seams is. Because trying to take these things apart later is just nuts!

Pudge
Guest Contributor
Danny, thanks for the reply. I spoke to another guy on my dock with a 510 who has the same problem when the boat was brand new. He used a glass company, not a bait shop. I also learned that the caulking form the factory does not contain a UV protection component. I think step one in building a boat is to make sure it doesn’t sink but step 2 has to be that it doesn’t leak. Frustrating. I’ll let you know my outcome as well. Thanks.