cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let me begin by saying I believe...

Johnny_P
Guest Contributor

Let me begin by saying I believe in safety of all kinds on and off the water. I have two questions about my 2013 280 Sundancer.  1.) Is the cabin Co2 detector necessary if you do not have a generator, or is it to protect you in all cases were fumes from another boat may creep into your cabin? 2) Not so much a safety issue here, but is the primary purpose of the “fuel vapor” Carbon Canister that vents the gas tank for EPA reasons only?  

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

7 REPLIES 7

JimGx
Guest Contributor
FWIW, my cabin Co2 detector has alarmed a number of times when I was just idling, generator off.

Johnny_P
Guest Contributor
Thanks Jim. Got a notice from the Co. that it was time to change.

JimGx
Guest Contributor
Yes, 5-7 year lifetime from what I read. Still wonder why home CO's are $20 to $25 and marine are $90 - $100.

Johnny_P
Guest Contributor
Thanks of the news on the $100 per unit! Lol I think the operative word with anything we buy is “marine”. It probably has something to do with the outdoor aspect of the device as well. I just spent $140 for the carbon fuel filter, and $900 for parts and labor for this year’s maintenance, the weather is still in the 60’s here in N.E Ohio, and the boat is not even in the water! $100 for safety is the best $ we spend. Thanks for the feedback.

Capt__Pete
Guest Contributor
I had a problem with my monitors when the the batteries drained down. Generally after a anchoring out for the night. Gets your attention at 3am.

PETERW
Guest Contributor
Carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced regularly especially in the marine environment no matter what you have permanently installed. I have been using regular inexpensive "AA" battery operated Home monitors for years and replacing them after about 2 years. A must for my 2005 340. which is prone to sucking in fumes when you least expect it

Johnny_P
Guest Contributor
Thanks Pete. Good idea!