cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to change out the stereo...

Makin_Memories
Guest Contributor

Looking to change out the stereo system on my SeaRay 270 SLX. Does anyone have recommendations for me on a brand/model?

15 REPLIES 15

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Fusion is the preferred stereo system here on the Gulf coast. I spoke to various installers when I changed out my sony and they all came up with the same answer. They are more expensive but will last in the hard salt environment.

AtlantaSam
Guest Contributor
I upgraded the Clarion in my 38 DA to the M608. The harness was the same so I didn't have to rewire for power or memory. The amps all have RCA connectors so that's plug and play, too. The cutout was the same too.
Overall, the M608 gives me bluetooth and the capability to control the volume in different zones independently. You can keep the volume in the cabin at normal levels if you want the outside louder.
I did have to change out the remote control, but that was easy too.

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
We love our Fusion system! First upgrade we made when we purchased our 06 DA 340 last year. Changed out the Clarion system with an RA670 in the salon main panel and an NRX300 remote at the helm. Also added a new Kicker 400 watt amp. I can control the entire system— zone, band, volume, etc. — using the Fusion-Link app with my iPhone and iPad. Sound quality is excellent. Very happy!

briansabatelli
Guest Contributor
I removed the terrible Fusion stereo and went with JL Audio. Crisp clear sound and a much easier interface. Very happy

fortylove4
Guest Contributor
The year of your 270 SLX is important to know if SeaRay put in Fusion or Clairon. I just updated my 2019 290 SDX stereo system, which came with all Fusion. I left the source unit in because it is pretty good and has Bluetooth. I changed all the speakers to JL Audio and changed the amp to a JLAudio MHD 900/5. The subwoofer is well hidden and hard to get to so I just left it in. My system sounds amazing. The JL Audio amp has less distortion and is more efficient, making it easier on the battery.

where is the subwoofer?  I can't find it

briansabatelli
Guest Contributor
Perhaps I should explain. IMO fusion appears to be over engineered and strangely complicated. The user interface on the JL Audio unit makes managing multiple zones and controlling the music from your Bluetooth devices much easier. And the sound and quality of JL audio is top notch. I think sea rays switch to fusion was a huge mistake.

fortylove4
Guest Contributor
The JL Audio source unit is really good but it is not totally compatible with IPhone IOS. I was unable to control the volume with my phone.

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
I have upgraded my last two boats with all JL Audio equipment - extremely pleased with sound and durability. I use a vendor here at the big lake that has been in business many years- he strongly suggest JL for my first upgrade saying that a good fir for Sea Ray boats.
I cannot speak to the iPhone question - I use Android products.

Soul_Train
Guest Contributor
I spent a ton of time evaluating and listening to marine stereos. I’m convinced JL Audio M6 line makes the very best sounding marine stereo systems. That is what I am putting in my sea ray 240 sun deck next month. $3,500 worth. The key I learned though is to have quite a bit of wattage. Not necessarily for volume, but that it wont sound good if you don’t. And l learned that 8.8 inch satellite speakers sound better than 6.5 inch speakers that come with the boat. I’m going with a pair of each, plus a 10 inch subwoofer. It’s all very complicated though, so the key is to go to a really good car stereo / marine stereo place and have them recommend the amplifiers and speakers. They know how to figure it all out choose the best amplifier or amplifiers for your chosen speakers.

wingless
Rising Contributor
When I upgraded my boat stereo I retained the stock speaker diameter and depth, but went overkill on the amplifiers.

My system now has 2,500 watts of power for the speakers.

The normal volume sound is amazing. The ear bleeding volume sound is amazing.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48111080478_7c691a046f_c.jpg

If extended runs (party) at ear bleeding volume is required then I also run the generator to avoid flattening the five 125Ah batteries feeding the amps.

Soul_Train
Guest Contributor
Regarding not being able to use your iPhone with Bluetooth to control volume on a marine stereo that has the head unit hidden away in a cabinet and the round remote control in the dash, (very common with how sea rays are designed for stereos),I have heard that is a control limitation with those style of marine stereos and iPhones. So yeah with that setup you may be limited to adjusting volume only on the round remote control on the dash. If you need it, you can install a second remote at the back of the boat for a second place to control the stereo from. The remotes are cheap - $80 each I think.

B_Smith
Guest Contributor
What system did you decide on?

fortylove4
Guest Contributor
My 2019 Sea Ray 290SDX came with Fusion head unit, amp, subwoofer and speakers. I replaced everything except the head unit. I replaced the 6 speakers with JL Audio. The amp and subwoofer with Arc Audio. My system now sounds amazing. The Fusion head unit was the only part of the original system that was any good. The Fusion amp was less than 1 % distortion. The Arc Audio amp is less than .03 % distortion.

Bernie
Guest Contributor
I replaced my OEM stereo with a complete JL system. Four JL speakers and a 12 inch subwoofer connected with a JL amp.
The sound is extremely clean (less than 1% THD). I would reccommend JL components over any other on the market today