cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help with a CANVAS PROBLEM...

Den
Guest Contributor

Need some help with a CANVAS PROBLEM on my newly acquired 2001 Sea Ray 280 Sun sport with radar arch. The OEM configuration included a rubber strip attached to the canvas/isinglass for the Visor & Side Curtains. This rubber insert then fits into a track on both the front windshield & side windows respectively. This system with a rubber strip mechanism is impossible to securely close as the rubber strip curls and will not stay in the track; it pops out. The windshield & side windows do not have snaps but only a track groove. It is my understanding that Sea Ray used this system on several models with a radar arch 2000 & forward but discontinued it several years ago due to the same problem I am having.

Anybody have a similar problem and what did you do to fix it? It is my understanding that Taylor makes something called a "Vadney Clip" that may fit into the track to allow the use of the traditional snaps. This would require somehow cutting off the rubber strip from the canvas and installing snaps & clips. And I am not sure how to go about this. Great Lakes Canvas, advised me that some people having the problem have actually done this.  Not sure this would work with my existing canvas or if a total new canvas is required….I am very interested in learning how others experiencing this faulty system may have solved the problem.  Thanks..

11 REPLIES 11

Paperboy1
Guest Contributor
Do you have a pic of what your talking about?

wingless
Rising Contributor
The rubber part is a Keder Welt, the track on the arch is an awning rail.

The quality of the Keder Welt used in 2000 on my factory canvas is poor. The design and quality of that part has improved significantly.

When I designed and fabricated by custom canvas enclosure I used this Keder Welt.

http://www.sailrite.com/Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape

The welt has a woven fabric on the exterior. I have had zero problems in years w/ this part. The new zipper panel w/ the new welt has been removed and replaced on the arch several times w/o issues over the years.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is me fabricating the new arch panel w/ the new Keder Welt.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/wingless-pics/Sew/KederWeltontoFrontArchPanel_zpsd1f70a33.jpg

Den
Guest Contributor
Hi and thank you for the information. However, my problem is not with the Keder Welt which attaches to the arch and zips to the isinglass......but rather the rubber insert directly opposite that zipper & welt which attaches the canvas/isinglass (Visor) to the window.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Please post an image showing the parts.

wingless
Rising Contributor
This is the best image I could find of your canvas, but it does not show the parts with the problem.

Please post an image showing those parts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boats.com%2Fpower-boats%2F2000-sea-ray-280-sun-sport-5265056%2F&psig=AFQjCNHud577iodZahNLTVh15cB4meEA7Q&ust=1469878208448236

Den
Guest Contributor
Unfortunately the pages does not show anything except the webpage to boats.com

wingless
Rising Contributor
Please post an image from your boat showing the problem parts.

Den
Guest Contributor
I do not have an image and am not able to take a picture at this time.

JeffM1
Guest Contributor
My 2000 260DA had the same problem, and the previous owner fixed it by installing one snap at each end of each eisenglass piece. The snaps are screwed into the windshield frame, and hold one end of the rubber gasket in place while you fit the remainder into the channel. It helps, too, to only zip the top zippers 1-2" before installing the gasket, then zipping them the rest of the way after putting the gasket in place.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thank you Jeff.....that's an interesting and clever solution. I will have to check it out on my boat. Thank you very much.... I hadn't thought of doing that.